Friday, October 07, 2016

Sugar!

I went to a meeting this morning and counted on eating breakfast there.  It's our monthly (well, now it's every other month or even every third month) CBO meeting and the host district provides food.

Last time I will ever do that because the only things there to eat were sweet.  Bear claws, scones.

I ate a bear claw.  It was delicious.  I felt no guilt because eating is always the best choice (vs. not eating at all)....but when I returned to my office around noon (it was a very long meeting - usually an hour or so but we had plenty to talk about so it was long), my stomach HURT, I was so hungry.  No protein in the morning resulted in me feeling hangry all day.  That's not a typo.  Hangry is 'angry hunger'.  I try to avoid hangry at all costs 'cuz hangry leads to eating carelessly and really feels like anger.

I ate my lunch (roasted chicken, yams and green beans) and then we had a surprise wedding shower for someone in my office - tons of fun (she had no idea!) and I ate a cupcake.  It was delicious.

Earlier this week, I told J. 'I'm going to enjoy an 'eat anything' meal now and then and so Friday night, I want Frito chili pie.  I (coincidentally) bought what we needed to make it just a few days before suspecting I was truly diabetic so J. made it.  It was delicious.  (I should have moved that 'eat anything' meal to next weekend - the wedding shower was a 'known' but I should have realized the morning meeting might be an issue).

So today was clearly a hugely not great nutrition day - but there were some small victories.  First, sugar made me feel awful.  Completely 'off' all day and just couldn't pull it together as well as usual. The highs and lows of sugar's effect were really noticeable - and I missed the nice, level feeling I've had the past few weeks sans sugar.  (Today was truly the first sugar I've had in over 3 weeks).

And...this is the hugest 'win':  a friend of H.'s sent me some candy that's been sitting next to my computer for a few days.  In the past, having eaten hugely badly, I'd be thinking 'what the heck - I blew it completely today so why not just eat the damn candy bar'.  But I didn't.  I enjoyed my 'cheat' dinner completely and didn't indulge in any more sugar today.  Just told myself 'no'.  Didn't use having to indulge a bit (and/or made bad choices and failed to plan ahead on the food front) as an excuse for adding more sugar to the day.

Tomorrow, I'll be back to good eating - bone broth in the morning (it's a really nice warm drink; has huge amounts of protein, very low in carbs and is very satisfying as a snack), eggs and maybe a piece of toast (weekends are the only time I eat toast).  Back to normal and no sugar.

We saved the roasted chicken carcass and I'm going to make some home made bone broth to have this week.  I've been buying some that I really love but I'm going to see if I can make it on my own as well.

I'm glad it's the weekend - it was a long, long week and I'm really hoping to sleep in tomorrow morning 'cuz I've had pretty lousy sleep most of the week.

Next morning meeting, I'm going to tuck a container of plain yogurt and some frozen berries into my bag for meeting fare.  Or have some nuts in my purse to munch on.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...