Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Morning Goo

I decided to bake something for the first Cabinet meeting of the new school year.  The pastry rose well in the proofing box; however, getting it out of the box and onto the baking sheet was a gooey mess.  I goofed last night and left the frozen version on the cardboard 'tray' to rise - and getting it off the cardboard tray to bake required flipping it over - and then flipping it back again.  It's a 'ring' so the zing is in the presentation - I think it lost a little in the process but it will still taste good.  I'm up quasi early to head to the bagel cafe across town to also get some bagels.  String cheese, yogurt, fruit, pastry, bagels and nuts will get us through our five hour agenda.  Yikes!  Long meeting but it will be productive.

Two thirds of our site admins are brand new this year and that's going to be an interesting process.  I remind myself daily that the time being spent on assisting and training will pay itself back over the course of the years these new folks are with us - and just hope I'm doing an OK job at it.  It's hard to present complex things in a succinct, abbreviated manner 'cuz they only need the basics - but the basics are complex in themselves.

Our district is way 'ahead' on year-end (a county office person mentioned that to me last week - that she'd noticed we were trucking along on the long list of things that need doing for year-end) - but I'm not letting that acknowledgement slow me down much 'cuz there's still an absolute ton of stuff to do and they are all very time consuming.

Tomorrow, we head to the oncologist for the latest scan results.  Since the scans were requested to confirm H.'s status before he moves to Houston - and he's not moving to Houston anymore - it feels awkward but we will go.  I feel less compelled to accompany the guys given the lessened urgency of my need to 'be sure' - but will go 'cuz I've already arranged my schedule around not being there tomorrow afternoon.

J. is trying to get H. to attend an information meeting at a community college in Pittsburg for a pipeline technology program.  It's hard to create motivation and interest when there is none and the jump start that we hoped Houston would be needs to be created here and now, somehow.

My assistant is winging her way to Ohio today for her dad's induction into the NFL Hall of Fame - we are taping the events on Saturday and hope to glimpse her and her family - and see her Dad.  Exciting thing to be a part of the event even vicariously.  She was a nervous wreck yesterday with a long list of things to do - her son starts school on Monday (different district) and as of yesterday, she had no info on the school year from that district.  So she took an unplanned afternoon off to take care of getting his school year nailed down before they leave on the trip.

Better go check the pastry.  And get a second cup of coffee.  And get dressed and going so I can get the day started in my office.  Being 'around' (in a meeting in a building down the way) is not the same as being in my office and every break will be a mad dash back to my building to see what's left on my chair that needs immediate attention.  Keeping things moving so my team can keep things moving is a key skill to have on busy days like our current weeks have been -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...