Monday, August 10, 2015

First Days

It's officially the 2015-16 school year.  Tomorrow, kids will be back on the buses and in their classrooms.  Our district is buzzing with activities.  This morning, we hold our official welcome back breakfast for staff and then they head out to their sites to do final prep for tomorrow.  Most have been in their classes quite a bit already and there's excitement and anticipation in the air.  Lots of changes this year - 2/3 of our site leadership are all new to their positions so it will be a busy year of first year learnings and mistakes.

It's going to be a great year - we've had so many positive admin activities in the past couple months and the changes that are being started this year are exciting...and scary.  I LOVE the energy and commitment that's been happening - it feels so great to feel like we're moving in an aligned direction...but the dis-ease it creates is hard for me.  Anything new takes time and energy and patience.  Just have to keep reminding myself of that - over and over and over.

I've been having freaky, bizarre dreams nightly that have me glad to be awake.  Up today at 4AM which is a good hour ahead of when I needed to be - and here it is 5:30 and it's time to get moving. So much to do this week for year-end.  And board prep.  Yikes - just remembered there's a board meeting next week -

I did work a little bit on Saturday and rewarded myself with a trip to Jackson yesterday - lost so it wasn't as fun as my last trip...but oh well.  You don't always win...that's why it's called gambling.

H. is enrolling in Los Medanos College in Pittsburg - about an hour commute.  He is going to work on a certificate and/or degree in Process Technology which would qualify him for work in a variety of industries including food, energy and oil.  He seems excited about the prospect and is gearing up because he starts school next week.  He may eventually look for a room to rent closer to campus but for now, he will commute.  It's always cheaper to live at home.

I'm excited that he's starting the program and a bit nervous for him - and us.  The classes are a lot of physics and chemistry and while I passed both in my academic career, physics was close to impossible for me.  It's just too conceptual and I'm a black and white in the box kind of person.  But H. loves Science so I'm hoping this will really spark him.  He needs a spark.

I'd better get going....still have toe tending to do and need to add some eye makeup to my routine since it's a big event.  :-)

Have a great Monday!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...