Sunday, August 03, 2014

Visiting

Early in this past week, a work friend shared with me her daughter phoned at 6:30AM...I think it was Monday morning.  She said 'it's never something good when they phone that early'.  Sure enough....her daughter's best friend's brother killed himself last week.  So sad.  The best friend (of her daughter) is getting married in a couple months and to have all that happiness shattered in an instant...so sad for the family.  We don't know them though the name is familiar.

On Thursday, H. posted something on Facebook - like 'in one week, shit's gonna happen'...and as the mom, I felt compelled to call him.  He was excited 'cuz the shit that's happening is his best friend in the world is coming to Tracy next week (now this week) - and staying with us.

He is coming to attend the funeral of the young man who died - he is friends with that family and is flying out from Houston for the services.  He will arrive Wednesday evening and stay until Sunday.  He's a pleasure to have as a house guest and we're happy to offer him B.'s room.

He and H. are going to have a great time - H. won't attend the funeral since he doesn't know the family.  And H. has radiation daily this week - but they will still wedge in plenty of fun.

J. and I are watching the Naked and Afraid marathon on Discovery channel.  It's amusing and entertaining. No, we're not going to EVER watch Naked and Dating.  That's absurd.

I drove to Jackson this morning and lost more than I promised myself I would lose.  Oh well.  J. is going with me next week and we'll enjoy a nice brunch together.  He doesn't play music at church next Sunday which is a rare thing these days.  Bass players are in short supply.

The week is full of 'school starts soon' activities.  Still trying really hard to wedge in as many 'closing the book' activities during the week as possible....but more meetings will ensue so fingers crossed.  I didn't work this weekend - a concession to having five weekends in August so I could feel confident.  And I have made huge, huge progress during the week so that's wonderful.

It's slightly overcast today which is a welcome break from the crazy heat we've had the past week.  So far, we owe PG&E $170 which isn't bad.  I love that we can afford to stay cool during the nights and we will likely make up plenty of sun vs. consumption in September and October.  Though honestly, I'd welcome tons of rain and not mind paying for electricity one bit in exchange for much need water.

We Skyped with B. last night.  He's out on maneuvers again this week - he was so bummed about it.  They had to report at 5AM today and will be out in the field all week without any communication (as far as we know).  I'm always thrilled to hear his voice and catch up on what he's doing...though his calls find me missing him even more all day today.

J. is heading to Social Security first thing tomorrow - they are counting his severance as earnings against the limit and we received a letter that they will be withholding his checks for the next four months.  He's taken documentation to their office and followed up with a phone call - told it is 'in process'.  Apparently, that rep hasn't told the 'administration' that it's resolved (or she hasn't taken the time to look at it) so a letter went out. I'm trying not to freak out - but without those funds, we will burn through savings really quickly.

I'm sure it will be fine.  Bureaucracies are what they are and someone's got to figure out that we followed 'the rules' and his 'earnings' weren't the kind that count against the limit.

Sure wish it would rain.  Jealous of my Arizona family who have enjoyed two good downpours and a little sprinkle the last three evenings.  I miss Arizona monsoons.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...