Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Farewell, Robin

As promised, I'm sharing things that put into words things hard to fathom in the aftermath of losing the light of Robin Williams to suicide.




My cousin H. of San Francisco posted the above and followed it with this:

And the wild things cried "Oh please don't go!  We'll eat you up, we love you so."  But Max stepped into his private boat, and waved goodbye.

Robin stepped onto his private boat and waved goodbye to all of us.

I noted the news releases of his death were in the afternoon but the press release of the sheriff's department indicated the 911 call came in the morning.  I truly, deeply appreciate the family allowing the press to report it was a suicide.  For giving us the word to describe what happened honestly and openly.  So many times, suicide is never mentioned.  Like it's shameful.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - but someone like Robin, who struggled with darkness for much of his life helps shine a light onto mental illness.   His family being honest about the circumstances of his death shine a light on mental illness and people who struggle with it.  

Depression isn't something people choose.  It isn't something you can 'shake off'.  You can't snap out of it.  It consumes you in a way that defies description.  I say all those things because I've lived it - so I feel like I know enough about it to at least state those basic, simple truths.

He was in a dark, dark place and so tired of being there.  Desperate to not be there.  And from that perspective, I feel relief for him - that he's free of such enormous pain and suffering.

I am so sorry for his family.  So sad that he left them abruptly and that he chose to leave them.  At it's core, I think that's what is so hard about suicide and why it's not rarely spoken of openly: the person chooses to leave all they are leaving behind.  And how can you fathom that of someone you adore?  Who adores you? Not something any of us could easily wrap our heads around.

Lastly, I share what his daughter Zelda posted on Twitter -


Now we all have stars that can laugh.  His final gift -


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...