Sunday, July 06, 2014

Staycation Facts

Observations on staying home....

When we go to Cancun, my feet swell like crazy.  By the end of the first day, my feet are swollen and sore. I've always assumed it was the heat and humidity in Mexico.  But I've been wrong about that.

It's not wearing shoes that does it.  I know that 'cuz I've been pretty much barefoot the past few days and yesterday, my feet were as swollen as they are at the beach.  So it's not the heat and humidity...it's not wearing shoes.

I'd love to remedy that by putting shoes on but I'm not going to.  Wearing my Keen sandals today which are loose and pretty comfy, all things considered.

Just like in Cancun, the days pass quickly filled with not much of anything in particular.  I feel lazy and sink into that feeling.  Since we're home, much beckons to be done and I do a little bit each day.  Nothing spectacular but little things that bug me - and I have the time to fix them.

I did do one big thing yesterday -

A friend of mine had her husband of 17 years walk out on her and her son this past week.  Pronouncing that it was all a huge mistake - their marriage; having their son - he moved on to someone else who has apparently been a factor in the marriage for some time, though the wife (my friend) didn't know that.  He left a brokenhearted woman and a brokenhearted son and left just a couple days before his son's 17th birthday. What a great memory for that young man.

His mom posted pictures on Facebook showing his gifts - a mandolin and a guitar.  Made me think 'he seems to enjoy string instruments - wonder if he'd be interested in a banjo?'.  So I Facebook messaged the mom and asked.  She wrote back and said 'actually, he wanted all three and there was a 'package' deal the store offered for all three - but I couldn't quite swing it financially'.  [Additional info:  her ex left a house full of reptiles - snakes, etc. - and she's desperately trying to get rid of them 'cuz she can't afford to feed them. Mice are expensive.  My immediate thought was 'snakes.  How fitting.  Snakes for a snake'].

So I let my friend know that I would be sending her son my 5-string banjo.  In absolutely pristine condition (a little wear on the white head but that's normal for a banjo and easy to fix).  I had it restrung - our local music store did a terrible job - the lower string bar is off center and crooked - but taking it back to the store to get it fixed again would have delayed another few days...so I included a little money to get that fixed as well as a new head (should have had that done, too, but then they probably would have messed that up, too) and a couple music books.  And hopefully enough to take his mom to dinner.

It was shipped off to Tennessee yesterday and it makes me so happy to give it to someone who will really enjoy it.  It was a gift from my mom in my teen years but it doesn't make me at all sad to let it go.  It should be played - and to give it to a young man who loves music and plays everyday is just the best feeling!

J. is playing music at church today and I'm heading up to Jackson for an afternoon of play time.  I'm booked to spend two nights there this week but might get that out of my system by going up for the afternoon instead. It's a pretty drive on a pretty day and I'll enjoy playing a bit, having lunch and then head home in time for dinner.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...