Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Cyber Closeness

Reaching out via the blog to send cyber hugs to my sister - her hubby has been in the hospital for a few days. He's home now and they move into the 'rest before the next big thing' phase of medical things.  I feel well versed in all the things they are going through - I relate to how tired they are; how scary it all is; how unsure things feel.  It is sometimes very hard to be so far away geographically from my family and this is one of those times.  I'd bring dinners; do yard work; run errands.  Anything we could do to help, we'd be happy to. But we aren't there.  So we have to just wait for updates via Facebook messages, pray a lot and walk with them via the cyber world we live in.

I try to convince J. periodically to move to Arizona for retirement.  But this is home.  For now, anyway.

Unless we move to Lathrop.

H. enjoyed the trip out to look and agreed the model we like is 'best' for our family right now.  I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the entire upstairs being pretty much for him - a bedroom, a bathroom and a 'loft' is all that is on the upper floor of the house so it's a perfect 'hang out' for an adult living with their parents.  Though we think the loft will also be a really neat 'entertainment' room - game systems; big screen TV for movies, etc. - it's a nice space.

We talked to B. last night - first time he's called in a long time 'cuz before he visited us, he was living in a tank for weeks on end and we didn't hear from him much during that time.  We let him know we were looking at a new house - he seemed surprised about that but seemed better when we reassured him that yes, we would have a room for him - IF we move (and that's still a really big if right now), we would simply pack up his room and put it back in the new house.  We are giving up a one car garage space to ensure we have an available room for him but I don't want either of the 'kids' to ever feel like they have no place in our home. It's their home, too...and home is always home.  Though the decor may change when they (someday! it will happen) finally move out and are officially, truly on their own.

When that happens, then moving to Arizona might feel more feasible.  I'm still working for some years yet and while I do look and keep my eyes open for jobs in Arizona (and other states), it's not likely to happen.

Work has been good this week though I need to make a note to myself:  when I'm coming back from multiple weeks off, my assistant needs to be there if possible.  She's on a well-deserved vacation but boy, I miss her.  All these little details eat up so much of the day - makes me appreciate her so, so much more (and I already practically worship her).

Work tomorrow, then a quick interview panel commitment on Thursday morning and then off again for a couple more days.  It's bold, daring, slightly nuts - but oh well.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...