Monday, July 07, 2014

First Official

Today is actually the first official vacation day - last week was a lot of short days that didn't count but it wasn't technically a vacation.  Today is the first of two weeks - though at the moment, next week is looking like a few shorter days as well.  Oh well.  We have a lot of interviews scheduled for positions that are critical to our district and I'm not opting out of being included on the panels for those interviews.  It's still a vacation just to not set an alarm for 5AM daily.

I went to Jackson yesterday and lost what I took to lose in record time.  Killed time by driving to the little town of Pine Grove.  Always keeping an eye out for where we could 'land' someday.  It was a nice afternoon and a good reminder that my recent win doesn't happen very often, really.  Too easy to think it's just that easy to keep winning - but I didn't.

The let-down of not winning had me planning to cancel my two night stay (tomorrow and Wednesday) but my wonderful hubby has convinced me to go.  I'm still 'ahead' (given my recent win) and he knows me better than anyone - and I treasure a little down time 'all by myself'.  I tried to suggest we maybe take the kids to the beach for a couple days - spending a fortune for last minute rooms somewhere beachy in our area - and said 'we are horrible parents - all we do is sit around'.  He reminded me that we aren't really 'parenting' these days as much as we are living with two adults.  They are rarely home and their idea of a good time has very little to do with spending time with their parents.  Guess he's right and I should quit feeling guilty about not having great family time when 50% of the family isn't all that interested.

So off to Jackson I go!

We've had some good news.  H. does qualify for state disability - we didn't think he did since he was unemployed at the time he was diagnosed.  But the unemployment folks did a phone interview with him and suggested he apply for benefits.  He will likely receive more on disability than he did on unemployment and weekly funds would be a huge help.  Our budget is managing  as we pay out of pocket expenses that are shocking.  Some of his meds are covered minimally by our insurance and the co-pays alone for office visits, meds, etc. are significant.  Still, we're doing fine - but providing him with 'pocket money' to go out and hang out with friends has been a challenge.  Disability benefits would really help - so fingers crossed they come through.  The nurse at the oncologist's office was totally up to speed on the process (it's all online now) and said she would put him as disabled through the end of 2014.  If he ends up being able to work before then, it can be changed.  What a relief.

J.'s headed out for his daily walk.  I'm going to pull on clothes and a hat and work outside for a bit.  The weather is muggy today - high, puffy, dark clouds in the sky which is keeping the heat socked in big time. Thunder storm weather lurking.

Even with all the uncertainty (wishing I had a crystal ball), I still feel very blessed and grateful.  When I'm blue, I need to remind myself of that more often - but it's so true.  We are so truly blessed -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...