Sunday, June 15, 2014

Uncle Mac

My uncle passed away last Wednesday.  I got a voice mail from my cousin in Oklahoma City and accidentally pressed the totally wrong button and deleted the voice mail before listening to it.  I knew what she was going to tell me.  He's been unwell for some time and we knew his transition to the next world wasn't long away.  I phoned and yes, he died that morning.  Her words were the most fitting description - a great loss.  So true.  He was a wonderful husband, dad, grandfather, brother, uncle, preacher, leader....the list goes on and on.  He touched many, many hearts in his time on earth and he was our family rock.

Uncle Mac rode in the car with my older brother and sister when they came to pick up my younger sister and I when our dad died.  I remember that like it was yesterday.  Uncle Mac in the back seat with my younger sister and me in the front with my brother and sister.  My brother was in his dress Marine uniform and the minute I saw him get out of the car in my aunt's driveway (this was my Arizona aunt - not Mac's wife.  Mac and his wife Edith flew in from Oklahoma to be there for my mom and us kids.  My Arizona aunt and uncle took care of us when our dad was in the hospital...Aunts and Uncles are sure a blessing), I knew something was up.  While my aunt tied my shoes, I said 'why is Skip here?'.

In the car on the way back home, my brother and sister told me our dad had died.  I cried.  My younger sister kept asking Uncle Mac 'why is M. crying?'.

We cried a lot over the next few days - and in the absence of our mother.  I have no recollection of seeing her in those first few days.  I'm sure she was there but everyone else took care of us and I don't remember her at all in the days leading up to the funeral.

I do remember Mac - playing with my little sister and I in our bedroom.  Kenner Easy Bake Oven cranking out all kinds of treats and Mac dutifully tasting all of them.  We shared this memory with him later in our lives and he didn't remember.  That's OK.  I remember.

Mac was always a rock for my mom.  She was the oldest of their family and she took care of the younger siblings quite a bit.  I know it must have been so incredibly hard for her to realize she was the sole caregiver and breadwinner for a family of four kids.  What a shock that must have been.  She often said that if she hadn't had me and my little sister (her surprise children 10+ years apart from her older kids), she would have wanted to just give up.  The two older ones were pretty close to being out on their own....but she had us.  She had to figure out what to do and how to do it to keep us OK.  And she did.  Mac was one of her strength-givers when she needed it.  Always there for her.

I also spoke to my Aunt M. who was there in OKC at my cousin's house.  She is the last surviving sibling in the family and I know that must be so hard for her.  I can only imagine what that's like...and it feels so sad.

I didn't go to the services - they were yesterday in OKC.  Work deadlines (including the 'new' added Thursday evening board meeting before the regular Tuesday board meeting which will now be a regular thing at budget time each year) kept me home.

Yesterday, this creature visited our yard - kept flitting about and landing here and there over and over.

Not at all afraid of us - it just kept flying about and landing...then taking off again and re-landing.

I'm sure it was Mac.  Maybe my Mom.  But likely Mac.  I know it's silly.  But seems like we have dragonflies now and then usually after someone's left the earth - and it's always so comforting to me.  A simple reassurance that all is OK.  Even in the loss and the grief and the dismay at losing someone so beloved.  It's OK.  It will be OK.

God has another angel - a learned man who loved the Lord more than anyone I've ever known.  God and preaching and building the church were Mac's main purpose on this earth and he did a wonderful job. Raised a family of kids and grand kids and nieces and nephews who saw someone live a good, Christian life all while being a real human being.  A wonderful example to us all.

He was dearly loved and will be hugely missed.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...