Thursday, September 19, 2013

Vacating

Guess it should probably be 'Vacationing'...but Vacating seems also strangely appropriate.

Happenings today:

My best beloved is officially 64.  He is officially retired and his first Social Security check arrives in mid-October and every month thereafter.  Yeah.  He played golf this morning - in under 4 hours - and even better - the round was free!  'Cuz it was his birthday - all he had to pay for was the cart.

Does a Mom proud when her eldest says the Sargent Major (highest non-officer in the company) commented "Jesus Christ, does anyone f-ing live here"? upon inspecting B.'s living quarters.  My question to that was 'is all the stuff under the bed'?  But still, perhaps the young man is learning to keep a tidier living space.  He'll be home for a couple weeks in December, so we will see.

H. is finishing up his second week of 'more than full time' employment.  His back hurts constantly and he has a huge blister on one of his fingers.  Ibuprofen and yoga stretches were prescribed for the back issue.  He has back issues.  Always has.  His answer is 'I need to go to the chiropractor'.  I agree - and as soon as he can make the $30 co-pays for each of the two to three visits a week, he's welcome to.  He has exercises prescribed by the chiropractor - which he doesn't do.  I'm hugely sympathetic to back issues - but you have to do all you can to mitigate them on your own.  Ab work to strengthen his core.  It's a hard job on essentially a food conveyor belt....hard work.  His first payday is tomorrow and that should help make it 'worth it'.

I went to Jackson yesterday.  Won $450 on a nickel Monopoly machine that put me in the black a couple hundred dollars.  Then I tried a dollar slot.  Almost sat at the one next to the one I sat at - but didn't.  A lady sits there, puts in $40 and proceeds to win $800 in about 5 minutes.  She cashed that out - put in another $80 and won $250 in another 10 minutes.   I did not fare that well on my machine.  Oh well.  Blessed that I had money in our Fun Money account to blow in my pursuit of big bucks.  Spent the last of the fun money on Power Ball tickets along the journey home - and didn't win that either. Darn.  Life changing would be lovely.

This morning, I was thinking 'why do you keep searching for something life changing'?  The life I have is pretty darn awesome.  But so would not working anymore.  I could really get used to sleeping in every single morning and doing as much or as little as I please every day.

Just makes me prioritize 'pay off the house' at the top of the list.  Or 'buy a smaller house that has a lower mortgage payment ASAP'.

For now, I head into the evening - going to pick up cupcakes and cheap Chinese for dinner. Tomorrow is the last official 'work day' off.  My plans of 'I'll work a couple hours every day just to get caught up on some projects' hasn't happened.  I've done the bare bones minimum.

It's been a lovely vacation.  I'm planning another week off at the end of October!  Can't wait!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...