Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Early Christmas

Saturday, I dragged myself (literally) out of the house to do some shopping.  Headed to Kohl's in Manteca.  I wasn't really feeling like I wanted to leave the house - nor shop - but I am still in search of slacks for work so off I went.  I really did not feel well - my legs felt like 1000 ton weights with every step.  It was surely the essence of the bug which was about to fell me....

I almost left the minute I walked in the door upon realizing that there were red metallic-y gaudy Christmas trees in full display.  ALREADY.  This is mid-October, folks!  It's still in the mid to high 80's most days.  Sure, we had a couple days of overcast drizzle that were just enough to get us all in the mood for pumpkin spice lattes...but now we're back to iced teas!  And yet there it was - Christmas in October.

I'm used to that with Costco.  Used to watching in August and September for the start of the decorations and trees and lighting, etc.  Costco I can forgive - because they are always 'early' in their seasonality.  But a clothing store?  Come on!   It made me so angry I wanted to walk out.

I did something I rarely, rarely do - I actually tried on clothes.  Usually, I just buy them and hope they fit and then return them if they don't.  But I was intent on finding nice looking, decent fitting items - so I braved the fitting room and tried on pair after pair.  Quickly wished J. had come with me to retrieve other sizes.

In the end, I didn't buy anything 'cuz I found one pair of 'jeans' - in a fall rusty orange - that I really liked and they fit great - but how often will I wear orange slacks to work?  So I passed....

Today, I am joining in the 'early Christmas' trend by purchasing the new Steven Curtis Chapman Christmas album appropriately titled "Joy".  It's lovely - and I will be listening to it non-stop for the next few weeks....thus getting myself in the mood.

This will be a special Christmas for us - likely the last one we will be together for as a family of four.  Writing that puts a lump in my throat....but I have some things planned to make it really special and for me, that's what it's about.  I want that lump in my throat that day as those I love open things that I have carefully selected for them....and we pass the holidays with each other enjoying merriment, too much food, a lot of joy and faith and at least one trip to the city for holiday cheer!

Christmas is my favorite and sitting here listening to 'Let it Snow' and other classics sung by a man who clearly understands and demonstrates the meaning of the season every day of his life (as does his family) makes my heart happy.  

UPDATE:  J. ran some errands on his way to campaign phone bank and picked up stamps at the Post Office.  Guess what?  Christmas!  Santa and his reindeer!  They were out of the bonsai so Holiday it is!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...