Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bites!

It sort of bites that today was my husband's last official day of work.  Sort of.  But not really.  He went in three days this week and had a nice lunch with a lot of long-time friends/coworkers.  It's never easy to leave before you were ready...before YOU decided it was time.  But then again, sometimes those forced changes lead to life changes that are better than you ever imagined.  That happened for me - a career in the business of education has been far more rewarding to me than any of my corporate careers ever were - and I mean that monetarily and emotionally.  This is a good change for J.. And he is very deserving of an early retirement.

The real reason for the 'Bites' title is that a spider feasted on my right knee earlier this week....and he walked around my leg and bit me FIVE TIMES.  He was a pretty straight walker until he veered up towards my thigh.  I always react strongly to bites - but wow, these are doozies.  I am sure they are spider variety because they blistered quickly.  So itchy - I have been miserable all week and trying so hard not to scratch.  And at the same time, totally creeped out that something bit me five times and I didn't even know until they started itching.  I think it was in bed!  So now I feel creep crawly things all the time and freak myself out on a regular basis - all night long.  So great for someone who is currently averaging five hours sleep a night.

This morning, I drove to a little tiny town in the delta to check out decomposed granite.  Why?  Because we are building running tracks at our schools and we are trying to decide what type of product to use on the track.  There are so many types and colors and they all have pluses and minuses.  So I drove 50 miles to the little island town with one small elementary school.  Then another 26 miles to a magnet high school.  Then back 'home'.  I had to stop for $10 of gas (non-Costco and I won't buy gas anywhere but there so I just bought a little bit) and a bathroom stop.  The drive involved following a contractor through curvy roads during huge wind.  It was 63 degrees and incredibly windy in the little town - and the drive was hard 'cuz I had no idea where I was; had too much to concentrate on (wind, trying to figure out where we were and where we were going; keeping up with him so I didn't get lost; my boss was following in his car so I had to be sure we didn't lose him, too)....though technically, he knew where we were 'cuz he lives out that way.  OH - and there were bridges.  Lots of them.  I'm a little 'nervous' on bridges.  Especially when it's windy....I survived.  And we know what we want to do.  My boss thanked me for arranging the trip. Three of us driving there and back 'cuz we were all heading in different directions after - it was crazy....

I survived another year's budget process (my sixth!) and am looking forward to a week off.  This time next year, we will be one week away from a couple weeks at the beach.  And this year, Vegas is really going to be fun.  We are going to live it up a bit!

It's been quite a week....H. is coping (barely) with the realization that 'this is life'.  You get up, you work, for 8 hours, take two breaks and a lunch.  You head home, eat, spend some time with friends, (hopefully) spend a little time with your family, go to bed and get up and do it all again.  Times five.  He's glad for the job and though it's with a temp agency (something he just sort of figured out today - though I was pretty sure that's what it was), he and the friend who also works there are getting good feedback from the company's boss they report to - so hopefully, when they weed out others, they will stay.  They are confirmed to work full time again next week - and at least if it's temp, the agency has placed him and they know he's a good worker.  On time.  Respectful.  He can't wait until next Friday for his paycheck...

Time for bed.  My work desk is a disaster and I have to undig a bit before leaving for a week.  I've been up very early every day and tomorrow will be more of the same.  And I think I will work 1/2 day this weekend just attempting to tidy up a bit.

Looking forward to fun and recreation with my sweetheart...

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...