Saturday, December 24, 2011

Eve 2011

Church was lovely - but not as lovely as in the past. No communion which really disappointed me. One of my favorite parts has been singing "Silent Night" with just candle light and feeling the warmth of communion. They skipped it - we had the candlelight but they handed us our candles as we came in - though our pastor said 'come back at 11PM - we're serving communion at that service'. It was a long service even without communion - so I sort of see why they skipped. But it's disappointing. Change is always hard - I'm always saying that, I know - and it feels so different with our new music director. I just don't like his 'style' - it's hard to describe - but I don't care for it. I want the music to speak for itself - and he talks a lot. 'Preaches' a lot - which I don't feel is his 'role'. I know it seems 'judgy' - it feels 'judgy'....but I don't want every song to be interspersed with him. I want the music to be THE MUSIC - and that is enough.

He did a very 'upbeat' fast-paced 'Oh Holy Night' - my favorite of all Christmas carols - but it should be reverent and grand. Not fast and lively. It felt totally wrong to me. Really disappointing.

On a great note, though - for the first time I can ever recall - I did not have an ounce of sadness in my heart. We honored our parents with poinsettias on the altar (as we do every year) and I really, truly felt they were right there with us. Not one choked up moment or any teary eyes. Just the joy of celebrating the birthday of Jesus - it felt great! I miss my mom - but I felt her with me....and I haven't felt that in a long time. That part was lovely.

The boys came home and H. went out to visit a friend who is Muslim. They spend Christmas Eve together every year. He just got home. B. watched a little bit of The Santa Clause and he went upstairs. J. is putting the finishing touches on getting stuff ready - and I'm heading up to bed soon. Hoping to be up around 7ish to put on a big pot of coffee and get a couple home-made quiches in the oven for breakfast.

We invented a new beverage - from scratch hot cocoa with eggnog and just a teeny bit of brandy! (The boys didn't have the brandy part....just me and J.). It was delicious!

Tomorrow's dinner is prime rib, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, green bean casserole, crescent rolls and blackberry pie for dessert. Or cobbler. Haven't decided which one.

Looking forward to our happy morning - Christmas is always one of the best days of the year. It's fun and relaxing and always worth all the effort.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Blessings to you all - near and far.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...