Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sandwich

I helped B. get to work on time this evening by offering to finish making his sandwich. He gladly accepted, giving me specific instructions about what to include or leave off. I dutifully made it...carefully slicing cheese very thinly and ensuring the correct meat to cheese ratio. And then, I cut it in half. I knew the minute the knife touched the bread that he did not need or want his sandwich cut in half...but I couldn't help it. I was already 'in-cutting-mode'....so I kept going. My thumbprint was on the bread when I finished - so I flipped it upside down on the plate and hoped he wouldn't notice the dent. He didn't.

But of course, he commented 'Mom, I haven't cut my sandwiches in half since I was 4'. I said 'I can't help it - it's habit'....he was less than amused. Oh well. He'll live.

He eats sandwiches a lot lately 'cuz he's very particular about what he eats. I pointed out Lean Cuisines and Stouffer's frozen items in the freezer; salad fixings in the fridge; etc. He opted for his usual - a sandwich - which is mainly because he allows himself only about 5 minutes to eat before he has to leave for work - and he wasn't even dressed for work yet when he started making the sandwich. Argh! Makes me crazy but I'm learning to just let it be.....

H. is at a friend's birthday dinner celebration. So, I did the unthinkable and made myself steel cut oats for dinner - including extra to have ready for breakfast tomorrow. I went to lunch with a friend today and we splurged and had sushi! I was stuffed and decided that was pretty much my full amount of Weight Watcher points for the day - so oatmeal is a good idea. It's high in fiber, which lowers the points. It was good. I'm stuffed again. J. had leftover chicken and rice from a couple nights ago. So we're 'done'. I like oatmeal..especially Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. They are so 'hearty'. Not 'soupy' at all. I love them!

Yes, I'm doing Weight Watchers. No, I won't tell you how it's going...but it is going. Little by little and that's half the battle. It is slow going to lose what's been gained. But that's ok. I'm on a good path and it's starting to work. I do feel a lot better (already) and know it's 'cuz I'm not eating as much sugar and other junk.

Vacation will start on Friday and end Wednesday next week. I have to work at least two days to get board stuff ready. We splurged and got FOUR tickets to Wicked (yes, AGAIN) and we're ALL going into San Fran next Wednesday to see the show and have a nice lunch. The kids are 'on board' and all my raving about the show has apparently convinced them they will have a good time. I know they will - we will enjoy it! I can't wait 'cuz it is an absolutely fantastically magical show.

It's after 8 and I will turn into a pumpkin in 45 minutes - so I'd better head upstairs to sand blast my face clean (just kidding) and get warm and toasty in bed. It's only 52 degrees outside - of course, it's a(nother) cold front 'cuz we spent a couple hundred $$ over the weekend and planted our beautiful garden...hope they make it. It rained this morning! I went out to water the patio pots and they were soaked! If I'd known it had rained, I could have slept in another 5 minutes. Oh well. I have been 'sleeping in' the past few mornings - until close to six. I'm slowly getting used to not leaving the house until after 7 - and am learning to not feel 'late'. I'm not late. I'm just not as early as usual...but I need the sleep.

Can't wait for six days IN A ROW of sleeping in! And even on the two days I will work next week, I have no intention of getting there before 8.

Spring Break is almost here!! YEAH!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...