Sunday, February 07, 2010

Jello

When will I be able to buy Jello pudding cups (60 calories each and in a zillion delicious flavors) and actually eat some MYSELF? I've purchased 5 packs over the past month or so and so far, I've had exactly ZERO. They are eaten before I am even able to eat a single one....or at least, by the time I remember we have them and start craving one, they are gone.

Today, I put my foot down about something - it could be a marriage changing item. Onions. J. hates them - and I don't use the word 'hate' very often but he hates them. Has always hated them. Do you know how limited you are in choosing recipes to try if you eliminate onions from the 'list of accepted ingredients'? Very limited. I am using them in a recipe for beef dip sandwiches and asked him to pick up a couple more to have on hand - he is a wee bit reluctant. Not really, seriously reluctant.....but resistant. I want to have them on hand because when you need one, you don't want to go out and buy them. They are a 'pantry staple' in most homes. In this house, not so much. Oh well. He's been eating dishes with onions in them for 20 years now and it hasn't killed him yet....so I'm pretty sure he'll survive. And this recipe looks DELICIOUS and I think it will be a family hit. It's perfect for a Super Bowl Sunday.

I'm also making cupcakes and warming up Spinach Artichoke dip..... the cupcakes give me an excuse to use the 'cupcake tree' I got on clearance at Costco. Figure if I use it, I'll feel less guilty for what was obviously a totally unnecessary purchase. But I love cupcakes - bite size cake! The perfect amount for a little serving of dessert.

J. and I went out to dinner with friends last night - it was so fun! We met them at the restaurant and they brought friends with them - so it was a night out with ADULTS! We went to the 'new' friends brand new house and enjoyed coffee and conversation until close to ELEVEN! Imagine that! We didn't get home until close to midnight!! It was terrific! Felt like adults! The new home was in an 'active retirement community' and it was absolutely beautiful...possibly my next dream home location. Tennis courts, indoor/outdoor heated pools, 28,000 club house with constant activities. Walking trails, a fishing lake (catch and release), lots of fun neighbors. You have to be 55 or over to buy a home there - and we qualify 'cuz J.'s 60! Of course, we wouldn't consider making that kind of move while we have kids hanging around. So it will be a decade or so before we make that change....but it's nice to think about.

Off to the kitchen to start the cupcakes!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...