Friday, February 05, 2010

Farming

When I was unemployed (October, 2001 through July, 2002), I really used that time to think really hard about what I wanted to do and where I wanted to 'land'. Doing a pretty good job of convincing myself the adages were true: when life throws you lemons, make lemonade; when one door closes another opens; etc. It was really a 'fun' time in my life - not often have I been a 'stay at home' mom and I enjoyed it. Sure, there was the stress of worrying that we couldn't live on one income - at least not in this house. Thankfully, my severance and unemployment got us through - and it was a luxury to take so much time 'off'. And we all know how it turned out - I found a job in the Business Office of a community college and that job gave me the experience I needed to get my current job - so it all turned out great. I have a fantastic job making more money than I did in the corporate world and I'm not working for anyone else's 'bottom line'. The only bottom line I worry about these days is our district's ending fund balance...but I can deal with that. I love what I do and am so happy I took that leap of faith and steered clear of the corporate world. I was so close to going back there - but something told me (after I received a job offer) 'just wait. Good things will come'. And they did.

I had all sorts of wild 'dreams' about what I wanted to do next to 'make a living'. Determined to not return to the corporate world, I even considered buying some land and raising alpacas....or even just a little 'farm'. Picturing myself outside, tilling the soil, planting, harvesting, etc. I'd sometimes even pull over to the side of the road and watch the farmers cutting hay, baling it and loading it onto trucks. At it's heart, Tracy is still a farming community and there are still working farms (dairy, produce, hay, etc.) all over town. I loved those quiet moments of sitting in my car watching the process of growing and harvesting stuff. Of course, I was in the warmth (or coolness, depending) of my car and had no real idea how hard that work is. I wondered sometime if I asked, would the farmer let me ride with him as he harvested - probably not. But I thought about asking.

I doubt I would actually enjoy farming - when getting up in the wee hours of the morning to start your day is a 'have to' instead of a 'want to'. But the fantasy was pleasant. Here I am up at 4AM (have actually been up close to an hour already) but I'm warm and toasty with a vanilla latte next to me, writing a blog post - it's in the high 40's outside and I'll be heading out into that cold in about 40 minutes - thankfully, driving less than 2 miles to my office which is also warm and toasty once I unlock the gates, disarm the alarm and turn the heat on.

I get my farming 'fix' these days via Farmville - and sometimes Farm 52 (www.bigseagames.com).
Every morning, I log on to Facebook and 'tend' my farm - animals, trees, crops. It's very relaxing and fun and lets the day start with some 'successes' - artificial and 'virtual' as they are. My sister is now 'hooked' as well - and we compare notes on what's growing; what we've done to upgrade. Silly, mindless farming - but I'm in touch with cousins and aunts and long-lost friends who are now my farm neighbors! Those Zynga game people have really mastered the 'hook' - 'cuz I'm definitely hooked.

Somehow, I am now also hooked on Mafia Wars. It, too, has a great 'hook' and while I know it's 'wrong' to do 'jobs' where you are virtually hurting people, it's just a game...and it's 'fun'. Can't explain it. Never imagined I would enjoy it - but I do. The only problem is: most of my Facebook friends don't want to be a part of my 'crew' in that game - I can't blame them. I avoided it for a really long time - just thought 'no way - that's not my kind of game'. But it's challenging and strategic and fun to 'advance' and buy property, etc. It's really such a multi-faceted game that every time I play it, I think 'wow, those Zynga game developers are really good at this'. I still feel like I discover new things about the game everyday.

As I'm 'icing' people.....

One more quick check of my farm; quick check into Mafia Wars to see if I can do another 'job' or 'fight' someone (for points....helps you advance in the game) and then it's off to work. Hopefully taking a 1/2 day off today - but since my day will be starting around 5AM, working until noon is pretty much a 'full' day....oh well.

Three day weekend!!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...