Sunday, February 22, 2009

Disappointment

We went out to dinner on Friday- not unusual. Headed to our regular Mexican food place....but next door to that restaurant is a really nice, more 'atmosphere' place that we eat at rarely. It was just me, J. and B. - H. was at a friends house and opted to skip dinner.

I asked (as we pulled into the parking lot) 'hey, B., want to try Magellan's tonight'? Fully expecting the answer to be 'no', he said 'yes'!

So we enjoyed a wonderful splurge - it is a wonderful place but it's pricey.

Dinner was fantastic....good salads, pasta for me and B. and delicious fish for J. (we shared so we each got a little of both). I even had wine (one glass) and we had desserts. Delicious - and close to 3 times the cost of what we would have paid next door. But oh well - we needed to 'live a little'.

Conversation was good - upbeat. Until things turned bad....

During this dinner, my son disclosed something that has rocked me to my core.....I can barely begin to write the words he said.....it still shocks me, days later....

He disclosed......

Unbelievably......

'I'm starting to really like Miracle Whip'.

'NOOOOOOOOO'......was my shocked reply. 'You and me and H. are MAYONNAISE PEOPLE. We are NOT Miracle Whip people. Only DAD eats Miracle Whip.'

I said 'I have never been more disappointed in you in your entire life, B.'.

Followed with 'and I'm going to have to blog about this.'

So there you have it - a turn of events that will change our lives forever.

He said something about 'fat content is so much less with Miracle Whip, Mom'. I'm like 'but it is filled with sugar - you can TASTE the sugar....'.

I survived....barely.

And the food and company were wonderful. It was a really nice evening and I know that B. will be a fan of that place going forward. He cleaned his plate...and splurged and had layered chocolate cake for dessert. And then said 'I'm going to the gym to run five miles'....though he waited until the next morning to go run.

2 comments:

DLB said...

If you read my blog today, you know I am currently hiding from my home office chores, so I was thrilled to find a new post from you. I check everyday but for some reason I went back and checked a second time today. I was holding my breath, scrolling down to here the terrible new revelation from your son, and . . . it made me LOL! Terrible teenager-stupid scenarios were flashing through my mind. Very good post. I needed it. Thanks

DLB said...

Oops, I should have proofed my comment. I meant hear instead of here, but of course since I was reading, I really should have meant see instead of hear or here. Either way, I am still laughing about your disillusionment with your oldest son.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...