Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Connection

I have searched and searched over the years for a long lost high school friend. Last I knew, she was married and in Colorado. I was in her wedding and my memory bank had retained her new last name and her husband's name. The Internet usually makes finding people easy - and her name is not common - or so I thought. Turns out there's dozens of her all over the country. Married/maiden name - same thing. Dozens and dozens.

I wandered over to the Classmates.com website the other day - got 'tricked' into buying a Gold membership because someone had posted on my message board and I couldn't see who until I paid the fee. Oh well. Turned out, I didn't even know the guy who posted - he went to my grade school though I have no recollection of him whatsoever. Sucker punched! Those Classmates guys are sneaky.

I figured just one more time, I would type in her name and search for her. No luck. But, a 'people search' website popped up with a long list of people with her name. None in Colorado. One in Arizona. Hmmm.....she grew up in Arizona (me, too!)....so I clicked on her name - and there she was! It was most definitely her - same married name and her maiden name, too. Referenced her husband under the 'associated with'. Eureka! I found her. I did a 411.com search on her name and found her in Scottsdale! Couldn't wait to call. Got voicemail every time I tried..and finally left a message.

It's hard leaving a message for someone you haven't seen in over 20 years.....I know I sounded like a lunatic....the emotion in my voice at having found her finally made me sound all choked up....it was her...I'd remember that voice anywhere....no voice recognition software needed....I fumbled through a message and waited....

And waited....

I got a voicemail from her today [I'm home with a headachy, sore throat thing and went to sleep as soon as I got home - damn my love for naps 'cuz I missed her call] - she is having some issues (two deaths in her immediate family in the past couple months that are keeping her wrapped up), kid troubles (boy, can I relate to that one!). But she left a message that sounded equally as excited to reconnect with me and said she'll call back as soon as she can because she knows we're going to need a lot of time to get caught up. She's right about that....just our kids alone will be an hour (she has two boys like me!).

I can't wait.....we had the most fun in high school - she is the one bright spot (well, her and Mr. B. who ya'll already know all about) in four years of teenage angst. One if my best-est friends ever! I can't wait to talk to her....I know we're going to pick up right where we left off....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...