Sunday, February 22, 2009

Miracle Whip

J. read my post and went straight to the kitchen - came into the study with a jar of mayo and a jar of Miracle Whip and proceeded to analyze the differences.

MW has vinegar in it - which is why I dislike it so intensely. If I wanted salad dressing on a sandwich or in my tuna or egg salad, I'd just use Good Seasons or something. I want MAYO - egg yolks, oil and a little spice. Call me a purist, but putting vinegar in a spread you put on bread is just wrong.

Though I have to admit - it's 1/3 the calories and fat of mayo. I know, for my health, I should consider 'switching'.

But I just can't do it. I think MW is the grossest stuff ever invented - and I don't care how many of the really important people in my life 'switch to the dark side'. I am sticking with mayo the way it was intended to be - creamy, rich and not at all tasting of vinegar and sugar.

I love mayo so much that I've really wished I was a 'cooking whiz' to the degree that I could make home made mayo. I had a friend in Texas (we went to Europe together the summer of our 16th year and we visited periodically) who's mom made homemade mayo while I was there - and I'll never forget watching her mix the yolks and the oil oh-so-carefully and the amazing substance known as mayonnaise appeared before my very eyes. It was the best mayo I've ever had and to this day, I still think of it when I'm spreading the jarred stuff on a sandwich - wishing I had the skill to do that. Maybe I'll add that to the list of things I want to master when I'm not working 50+ hours per week.

And thanks (and hello!) to my cousin DLB for posting a comment - glad the post gave you a good chuckle. J. laughed out loud, too.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...