Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Too?

I'm starting to think President Obama is just TOO inspiring. So many hopes and dreams pinned to one guy - trying to shift a nation's course. It's only been 35 days. He still has (at least) 4 years to go.

I didn't feel inspired after last night's address. And I wonder about that....wonder what I was needing to hear that I apparently didn't? He certainly got rave reviews by all accounts. He is most certainly a great orator and delivered a clear, understandable message. I think we're in the best of hands - and certainly compared to the other guy that might have been in the job if it weren't Obama.

Still, I just didn't 'feel it' last night. I'm apparently resigned to the stock market tanking no matter what is said - or done. I'm apparently resigned to acknowledging that we will work another 10, 12, 15 years....at least. Most certainly I will - and perhaps my hubby, too, depending on where we are when he hits his 'full' retirement age of 66 in another 7 years.

I don't think I expected a miracle....but maybe I did? And so since one hasn't materialized - since it's clearly going to be a long, slow climb up, I guess I'm kind of disappointed...and resigned. So maybe he's just too inspiring and my expectations are all screwed up?

To me, he sounded like a politician. I've never felt that way about him before last night. And it isn't that I like/love him any less - it's just that he's a politician. And I'm not really sure that he knows what the answer is. He's just trying a lot of things - like throwing spaghetti against the wall to see when it's 'done' and hoping it sticks.

Because we're all starving. We need something to stick pretty damn quick.

1 comment:

organize_crime said...

You're definitely not the only person who felt that way. I think the main issue (for some, not necessarily you) was the fact that he's actually really really good at public speaking, and that can almost make you feel like you left a magic show without your wallet. There's something to be said about humanity, and flaws, that can really help us connect to leaders.

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...