Thursday, February 26, 2009

Potluck

One of the traditions we have at work is a monthly potluck. The purpose of the pot luck (other than to stuff our faces and have an 'excuse' to over eat) is to celebrate the birthdays that happen in that month.

The assignments of what to bring rotate - main dish, salad/fruit, side dish, dessert, paper products, beverages. You are only assigned to bring something every other month - so you get to enjoy 5-6 potlucks each year that you don't have to lift a finger for. I LOVE those months. I also love the paper or beverage months. I'm good at those.

That still leaves plenty of months to sort of 'dread'....

See, I'm a decent cook. I do OK. I can put together a reasonable dinner that people will eat...and I do enjoy trying new things and new techniques - but ONLY when I have the luxury of time. Most work nights, we do something fairly quick - this evening was a Costco roasted chicken, roasted potatoes and salad. But the salad was also from Costco. I had been in an all day meeting, I had to go to Costco anyway to pick up things for the potluck - so I took the easy way out. And even then, we just finished dinner - and it's approaching 7:30 PST. I am very tired today...and the last thing I want to do is cook.

But tomorrow is our potluck, and I'm on for a dessert. And with very few exceptions, all of the people in our offices are FANTASTIC COOKS. Three Italian families to start - who make every thing from scratch....so the competition is fierce. And I sort of dread it...

I am making an apple crisp - peeled, cored and sliced apples baked with butter, brown sugar, oats, etc. until the apples are soft. Served (if everything goes right) with either vanilla ice cream or whip cream. I have everything here - except the ice cream - I forgot to get that which means I'll have to go in the morning quickly to pick up ice cream.

I know I can do this....it's not rocket science. And it will taste great. But honestly, I'm wishing I'd just picked up a cheesecake or something at Costco and called it a day. I don't want to cook tonight. I DON'T WANNA, I DON'T WANNA....

But I will. It's the least I can do for all those other great cooks....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...