Sunday, November 14, 2021

Loving the Internet

 I commented to J. 'hey, we should go to Walmart to look for some Christmas decorations to hang on the iron fence!'.  He was ready.  

(Backstory:  last year, a couple of the neighbors on the opposite side of the 12th tees hung all sorts of beautiful decorations on the fence....and we added rope lights laced along the top of the fence upon realizing we were missing a HUGE decor opportunity.  I vowed to add some decorations next year - and that is coming up faster than we can imagine!).  

I decided to try on the website first and scored!  I got two decorations from Walmart to be delivered before Thanksgiving.  Found 3 more at Target - also delivered before Thanksgiving.  We didn't have to leave the house!!  Woot woot.

I think I like rarely leaving the house more than I like to admit.  

Then I remembered that I wanted to get plastic ornament hangers for the tree - last year, we never hung ornaments because I was worried about the cats.  I ended up just putting a giant bag of bows (the kind you use for gift wrapping) in the branches of the tree.  It was pretty!  So...went back to Walmart's site and ordered plastic hooks and zip ties (enough to last the rest of our lives, most likely).  Also found 10 super cute penguins - not sure how we would use them but even J. said 'order them!  We'll see how we can incorporate them and if not, we'll return them'.  Got to love a man who indulges his wife and likes penguins!  

I am ready to do it up BIG this year!  So excited to have B. here!  

We have a call with our estate lawyer tomorrow - a call we need to have to hash out approaches but at the same time, I just dread it all.  We are struggling to agree on an 'approach' - wishing it all weren't so damn hard but it is.  

We ordered a small fresh turkey from the meat company down the street and while we know it will be too big for the two of us, I plan to make huge batches of 'other stuff' to freeze.  Turkey enchiladas, turkey tettrazini, etc. - I'm planning a massive grocery shop to have everything we need to do some freezer batch cooking.   

Did I share the lobster story yet?  I can't remember.  When B. visits, we try to do a 'surf and turf' night.  Delicious steak, lobster, good wine.  We all cook together and eat ourselves into (practically) comas.  

J. went to Costco a couple weeks ago and went to the meat department to request a box of frozen lobster tails.  Last year, we found the box in the frozen meat case on our own and bought one.  Not cheap but we were able to give lobster tails to B.'s friend R. to enjoy as well as have lots to use in other dishes.  So..we kept looking and looking for the box of lobster tails with no luck.  Found shrink wrapped lobster tails (in styrofoam tray) - 3 tails in a package - but they were shown as 'previously frozen' and we don't want to risk the tails not being OK so we didn't want to buy them packaged that way.  

J. buzzed the meat department on one of his visits and the person said 'we have boxes - I'll have to get my manager's approval to sell you a full box'.  It took a while but....they did it.  Only it was TEN POUNDS of frozen tails vs. the five pounds from prior boxed purchases - so we have A LOT of lobster.  I'll be searching for recipes to use it - and we plan to gift some to our neighbors and our hair dresser for Christmas!  Wine & lobster!  

B. and I are also planning to make something complex and decadent for Christmas dinner dessert so I need to pull down all my Great British Baking show cookbooks and come up with a plan.  Maybe a Pavlova! Or a Christmas Yule log!  Or both!!  

Can you tell I'm getting in the spirit!!??

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...