Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Big Steps

We signed off on our trust documents this morning and sent the signature page off to our attorney.  

We Zoom called with her yesterday and as we talked, she realized that we are still trying to figure out what we want to do.  I keep reminding J. (and myself) that we need to plan based on what we know today.  We can't assume everything will be fine and we can't assume we will be on the planet years from now.  So based on today, what do we want to do.  

We couldn't agree to decide.  Our attorney said 'here's what we need to do.  You both need to sign the trust documents for the way we had things planned before you knew H. was homeless.  Because at the moment, if anything happens to you both before that plan is signed off, your 'old' trust would be the trust that would be in place - and that trust splits everything 50/50 with no protections related to H.'s addiction issues.'  She was right.  It's not the perfect solution - we still aren't sure there will ever be a perfect solution - but at the very least, there is verbiage in place regarding how H.'s share is handled.  And we needed to get that done.

Now we can talk things through with B. when he visits and (likely) make some tweeks at a later date - and continue tweeking if needed over the upcoming years.  

I've spent the morning cleaning out files and getting a handle on the paperwork in the office.  It's never ending but it's OK.  Keeps me busy. Found some of H.'s writings from his rehab in 2018.  Re-reading it and thinking 'was he ever serious about not using?  I'm not sure he ever was, really'.  Time to let that stuff go. 

I'm suffering from what I can only describe as 'afraid to play slots' - 'cuz I feel sure I will lose and I don't want to.  I know...you're thinking 'duh, Majah'.  But...I'm pretty low on funds at the moment which means I'm betting like I will lose.  Sure, you can do 50 cent spins for hours and hit things here and there.  But...you don't win much betting minimum. 

I need a win that puts me back to being pretty flush.  It will happen.  No idea when but it will.  

We're at the end of the calendar year when we try desperately to not create any new tax obligations.  But when most of your money is in pre-tax retirement accounts, everything feels like it will create a tax obligation.  

It's a nice problem to have, I know.  Blessings abound.  It's just the mechanics that get hard this time of year.  

J. is getting a hip replacement ASAP.  Bless his heart he has spent days getting tests done, hand-delivering documents between the surgeon's office and his primary care doc.  He is in terrible pain pretty much all the time - even sitting is painful at this point - so he really wants to get the procedure done.  He had hoped to do early December - but after all the stuff was done to schedule, they had 12/20 as the date and that's not happening.  Not right before Christmas when B. is here.  So now we wait again for them to determine the date and we're getting nervous that it's going to be February or March.  That means golf will be off the table for most of Spring....and that's not fun for J. .  

Medical stuff gobbles up lots of time as retirees.  

Using leftover pulled pork and making pulled pork chili and pulled pork nachos for dinner this week.  I've got to get to the grocery store for a few key items.  

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...