Saturday, March 28, 2020

Dry Air

One of the many differences we've noticed about living in Carson City vs. Tracy is the dry air here.  We are constantly shocking each other - we've had some kisses that were REALLY electric....now, we discharge the static by touching something before we kiss.  The dry air here is apparent in dry lips, dry skin.  I grew up in the desert and don't remember noticing the effect of dry air - in Phoenix, Arizona!  Or at the beach in Mexico.

I read a Facebook post from a friend who is being treated for cancer.  She had treatment this week and noticed that each room had a humidifier going so she asked about them.  COVID-19 doesn't like moist conditions - so the theory is keeping your nasal passages and air around you moist helps deflect the virus.

We ordered two humidifiers from Costco - one for our living room and one for a bedroom. I'd been thinking of getting one even before I read the post about COVID-19 because I am having a lot of sinus 'stuff' since we moved here so I'm willing to try anything.  I'm also going to break out the neti pot more often.

Oh, good news:  drinking beer didn't make any difference in my nose congestion so yippee!  I can continue to enjoy Blue Moons.

I'm really enjoying Ozark but it's so hard to watch.  Not because of the violence.  There's plenty of that but it's OK.  It's the darkness of the actual show - all the scenes are so dark, there are times when you can't see anything that's happening - you're just listening to dialog.  I think it's why I tried to watch it previously but gave up.  I'm sticking with it because it's a really great show.

We gathered up the docs we need to submit for the mortgage and we will send them in first thing Monday.  My friend P. is building a new home in Elk Grove and she got her rate lock on Friday - 3.375!  We're hoping to get our rate locked in ASAP. 

B. is officially going to be promoted to Staff Sargent in May.  He had finished all the pre-requisites except a class he couldn't take because he's on deployment.  But because (in part, at least) of the COVID-19 crisis, the Army is allowing promotions without the class - he'll have to make it up ASAP but they will promote him.  He is so happy about that because he really thought he'd be 'stuck' at his current rank for another year.  But no!  No wait!  Well, a little wait - but that's OK. 

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...