Friday, January 19, 2018

This Big House

is going to be more 'full' than it's been in years 2 weeks from today.  For reasons that I will (biting my tongue super hard to ensure I will) not say, the 'kids' and her kids 1/2 time are moving in with us.  It's become pretty clear over the course of the past week or so that they have been living far beyond their means and while the thought of 4 people here - 3 of whom we know only superficially at this point - has me shaking in my shoes a lot, it's the only option we can come up with.  The only other option is to just say 'go with God' and wash our hands of it all. 

But he's our son.  And he loves her and she loves him.  And while it's super messy....it is what it is. 

In my head, I think 'how about I rent an apartment for ME and just bolt?'.  Kidding.  Sort of.

We're hoping that allowing them to live here will give them a chance to save money.  And will also (and possibly most importantly) allow R. to have funds to hire an attorney and force her ex to quit jerking her around and to do the things he is legally required to do.  It's hard for her that we 'know' there are issues - she's intensely private and I get that - but the things that have happened and continue to happen are not in the best interest of the kids - and someone has to hold him accountable.  Lawyers cost money and we're hoping the reduction in expenses will provide those funds - and when all that's taken care of, then they can start saving to get an apartment or rent a house.

I vetoed us co-signing a lease for a rental house in Manteca because J. and I are both super good with money and in the absence of feeling confident they can manage, we're not signing.  I don't think either party is 'happy' about that turn of events.  But THAT is what that is - and what it is is us not being willing to be on the hook for $1500 a month to keep them in a different dwelling. 

We are (hopefully - because one of the many issues we have is continued instances of inaccurate communication that leads to a lot of confusion and hard feelings) expecting them with her kids tomorrow - pizza and sitting down and talking things out.  We still have to (also) finalize the sale of the Mariner but frankly (and I told H. this earlier this evening), I'm not sure we should be selling her a car.  I don't think she can pay for it monthly - and I'm not giving her a car.  No way. 

We'll see.  Hopefully this time tomorrow evening, I'll feel a whole lot better about things. 

I trekked to Sacramento yesterday for a two day training.  My travel partner is a Gold status member of Marriott Rewards and she reserved a room for me - and we both were upgraded to one bedroom suites!  And free made to order, served at a table by a waitress breakfast.  In a really lovely hotel.  The training was excellent.  The only hard thing was:  my boss' father had a stroke on Wednesday so he wasn't able to attend the training with us.  Praying for him and his family - very hard thing to be going through.  The waiting is just so dang hard.

J. is at a show at Gallo this evening with his friend R. .  I'm having a Blue Moon and unwinding and likely heading to bed early.  I slept like a ROCK last night but it was a short night - our class ended at 9 and I was in bed by 10 - but up early to get ready for today's all day session.  I'm ready for sleep - and most importantly, ready for a no-alarm, go back to sleep kind of morning.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...