Sunday, January 28, 2018

Massively Donating

J. is making a trip to the library with a car full of books for donation.  We're working on cleaning out the playroom and I'm realizing that I offered up our vacant bedrooms not realizing just how much stuff is in them.  It feels impossible to empty these rooms but we're trying. 

R. & H. stopped by last night (and are now overdue for today's visit) and we talked through the process - realizing that on all sides, there's no way we're getting every little thing cleaned out in time for them to be here permanently starting this coming Friday night.  We'll get them in and continue working evenings and weekends to get things more settled.

We have worked super hard today and have both been lifting and hauling, making so many trips up and down the stairs.  My legs feel like Jello - in a good way.  In addition to the play room, I worked on their bathroom - cleaned out every drawer (empty) and wiped things down.  Same with the medicine chest.  I'm heading up again to give the under sink cabinets a sort and will bring down bags more to trash.  It feels super good to get things cleaned out and I keep reminding us both 'better we're doing all this work now 'cuz imagine doing it in 3-5 years when we're even older'. 

This house has 17+ years of joy in it - along with all the 'stuff' that comes with it. 

We've set up donation space in the garage and will just keep sorting and organizing.  I'm super glad J. went to the library today, though, because books take up a lot of space and don't do too well being stored in the cold garage. 

I'm secretly super glad I'm in Sacramento Thursday and Friday this week - but I do feel bad leaving J. to deal with it all.  We know R. & H. have been selling some furniture and have been packing so we're quasi hopeful it won't be too much left.  We are insisting (for what it's worth 'cuz with their laissez-faire approach to life, insisting doesn't make much difference) they plan to make trips here every night this week with 'stuff' to unload.  Better to work hard nightly than leave too much to Friday. 

H. got called into work this past Friday - which he accepted 'cuz he's new and the money is helpful.  But this coming Friday, I'm hoping he doesn't get called in so they can start early and finish before nightfall.

I'm going to set up Facebook Marketplace.  I have a friend who posts things for sale all the time on there and I'm hoping if I post it to friends or even make it 'public', things will sell quickly.  We've got extra book cases and the glass door cases my beanie collection used to be in - and we are ready to let those things go.  Maybe T. & C. can use them in their rooms here...so we'll see. 

But the microwave cart from old first apartment (yes, really) that held the TV in our bedroom for ages is going to the garage and hopefully sold on Facebook.  Though I suppose it could be painted (I'm tempted to try some chalk paint projects) and used for a storage table of some kind. 

By the end of this week, I will be parking in the driveway 'cuz the garage will be full.  The storage rental place doesn't have anything available until late next week so we'll (sadly) have to unload, reload and unload again at some point.  The kids have friends lined up - so they say - so here's hoping.  We need some strong people and trucks.  Lots of both.

I'm even more excited with my planned trip to Reno over the 10th-12th.  So far, the advance forecast shows mostly sun and while there's snow on the hills and trees enroute, it will hopefully be relatively mild on the roads.  J. procured snow cables for the Rav so I'll have them - but if they need to be put on and taken off, I'll be paying whatever the going price for that is.  I'm so excited - haven't been to Atlantis since late November and picked a great weekend to go - free play, Macy's gift card, extra comps and a slot tournament!!  I will have a super fun couple of days. 

After that trip, it's only 4 weeks until we leave for our Bahamas/Virgin Island cruise and Disneyworld.  More on that trip shortly. 


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...