Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Merged and Unmerged

Our email addresses use a .[>>>] suffix that really dates us.  It's a company that hasn't existed (technically) for decades.  For a long time, the 'parent company's' email and any Yahoo email addresses were allowed to coexist.  Emails to either were in the same email box and readily accessible on the Yahoo website.

Until recently.  I noticed there were some odd things popping up now and then but paid no attention - until yesterday when I realized that all of my email folders - categorized by topic and containing emails spanning decades of time - were gone.  I tried to convince myself it was 'no big deal' if they disappeared - until last night, in the middle of the night, I realized that all of our tax files were in those folders as well - the confirmations that the e-filing worked.  Year by year by 4 people.  Gone.  Poof.  We tried to get to the old folders last night and it didn't go well.  I went to bed frustrated - which is probably why I ruminated about it and then panicked all over again when I realized we'd lost the confirmation from the IRS and the State about multiple years of returns.

Thankfully, J. was able to help me this afternoon - the secret was signing on to Yahoo from a browser I never use - so it wouldn't 'remember me' and keep taking me to the 'new' email box.  All current emails are received in this new box.  Using a new browser and logging in to Yahoo 'found' all my private folders and other emails.  Yay!  I hope to sleep better tonight.

We bid farewell to B. this morning and it's amazing to witness that he gets himself up and moving all on his own.  He was downstairs, relatively ready to go on time until he decided he needed a chai tea for the road.  It's always hard to tell him goodbye but we had a wonderful three weeks and I'm grateful for the time.  All in all, he's very pleasant to spend time with.  He had a good amount of fun with friends and spent a lot of quality time with us - it was lovely.

Missing him - but it is nice to have the house to ourselves again.

J. spent part of the afternoon finishing up putting away Christmas and then we tried to get my new car's garage door opener synced up with the two garage doors.  Actually, we only tried one and couldn't get it to work so...we gave up and will try again tomorrow.  I can park in the garage again!!

I (finally) heard back from my boss who confirmed my plans to be off this Th & Friday so yay!  I will pop in to the office briefly tomorrow and trek to our COE briefly as well - but I will be off.  I should work/could work.  Plenty to do.  But I'm psyching myself up to just enjoy the rest of the week off and then hit it hard and fast and furious next week - including putting in some weekend time if needed here and there.

There's a job up in Placer County Office of Ed that closes this Friday and it's tempting.  We would move up to Roseville area and be 1.5 hours closer to Reno - I am still thinking about it but....the inertia required to move is what stops me.  I would need to rent a room somewhere until we found a house, sold this one and moved.  A lot of moving parts.  And it seems a bit unwise to buy again when we know where we want to land permanently is Reno.  A house in between Reno and here doesn't seem like a good financial move.

There's a job at our COE open (in Stockton) as well - but the $36K pay difference keeps stopping me.  As convenient as staying in this County (and house) is, I just can't deal with that much of a pay cut.  Hard to feel motivated to take a different job that results in adding a commute and bringing home considerably less than I do now.  Feels like I'd be going backward and I can't do that.

Especially not with a new car in the garage.

Cloudy and cold today and weather is approaching over the next couple days.  I am tempted to take a quick road trip to Reno - just for the day, most likely - but will have to wait and see how the weather looks.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...