Sunday, July 09, 2017

Hotter Than Blazes (But Not as Hot as Phoenix)

I always have to add that caveat when I vent about the heat 'cuz a lot of my family lives in Phoenix and seriously?  It's over 110 and often approaching 120 there which makes our days of 100+ seem mild.  (I don't actually have to add that but love how sharing a story of my car warrants others asserting that 'now you know what it's like here.  Um, actually, I know what it's like there because a) I grew up there and b) it's hot here too.  Very similar summers here vs. Phoenix. ) Yesterday was 108 - which I know because I drove home my car that's been in the shop all week - and after $1000+ in repairs, it blew hot air the entire way home.  I'm so pissed at our local Ford dealership and tomorrow morning, they are going to get an earful.  I feel like they had an inexperienced person working on the car - did what the diagnostic machines said to do but doesn't understand the workings of AC?  'cuz it's now worse than when we dropped it off AND it's making a noise it's never made before when you push the recirculate button.

It's turning out to be even more of a a great thing that I had a good run in Reno - the car will dent our savings considerably.  And we're realizing that we need to take Chloe in for some dental work.  They had suggested it awhile back and we put it off - but she's not eating much and especially when it's her crunchy kibble.  We bought a couple cans of her prescription dog food and she will slowly eat that but her kibble stays in her bowl untouched.  Her energy is non-existent and while I thought it was the heat, I'm thinking she's just not feeling great.

R. did the nicest thing - she's been spending the night here with H. who is here to be sure he can spend time with B. .  I saw her walking in the side yard and asked H. 'what is she doing back there?'. He said 'you'll see'.  Around Mother's Day, she had asked J. what my favorite flower was and he replied 'carnations'.  We've been looking everywhere to add some carnation plants to our patio collection and haven't found any - but she did!  She went to the nursery closest to our house (which for some reason is the one place we didn't go) and got 4 beautiful, big carnation plants.  Sweetest thing!!

We had a wonderful surf & turf feast here on Friday evening - steak and lobster and cheese cake for dessert.  I fretted over not having 'sides' but I think there was plenty of food and there were few leftovers.  R. and H. were both here - but still no kids.  I bought way too many lobsters 'cuz I wasn't sure if they would join us - so we have leftover uncooked lobsters.  Tonight, we're going to cook the remaining lobsters (after butterflying them) and make lobster mac 'n cheese.  Yum!

J. and I spent some time outside and I purposefully stayed in the sun a bit to attempt some color.  I ended up having to get in the pool (which was 79 - LOW for me) and then sat in the shade with J. We planted the carnation plants - I know we shouldn't do that in the heat of the day but better then vs. waiting for cooler weather because they need to be out of the pots they are in and in larger planters.

The sun totally zapped me 'cuz now I am fighting a serious urge to sleep...which I think is going to win as I head upstairs to lay down for a bit.  Upon waking, we will need to get the lobsters going and start cooking the mac 'n cheese.

Oh!  and we're also saving the shells to use in making lobster bisque soup!  That will have to wait awhile - I'm going to ask J. to put the shells in the freezer 'cuz I'm not going to make that today.

B. went to San Francisco last night and spent time at the private bar in the Millenium Tower - his friend works there.  You can Google that building - yes, it's sinking - and a variety of very well known, wealthy people live there.  B. met a man who is one of the richest in the country - fascinating to hear about the people who frequent that bar.  Sadly, it's closing and his friend will be jobless - but he is planning to open a restaurant in Livermore - already has investors lined up and everything!

I'm only in the office M-T and 1/2 of Weds - they I head to Sacto overnight for a workshop on Thursday.  After the workshop, I'm officially off for the rest of the week and will be heading to Reno. Can't wait!  Will come home on Saturday and be here Sunday morning to see B. off -

No comments:

Cooked

Actually cooked something for dinner this evening - trying to do a better job of using what we have and planning meals.  It's a small th...