Saturday, November 26, 2016

Winding Down

It's the last evening of Thanksgiving break and the last night B. is here.  We made homemade lobster mac 'n cheese for dinner and he invited a good friend over to join us...so the house is filled with guy laughter and humor.  The dinner was delicious and I was a great hostess and allowed our guest the last slice of pumpkin pie for dessert.  The pie I'd been craving all day and skipped a glass of wine with dinner to have.

Backup plan was a small scoop of cookies 'n cream ice cream with some chocolate sauce on it.  My blood sugar will show a spike but it's the last night of the break and I wanted a little dessert.

J. will take B. to Oakland tomorrow morning and hopefully won't hit too much traffic on the way back.  I suggested we try to get B. to do AirBart but the flight is early enough, J. should be OK. Getting stuck in east bound traffic over the Altamont on the Sunday after Thanksgiving will be horrible and I sure hope he avoids it.

I worked a bit today in my office and plan to go in again tomorrow - trying to get ahead a bit.  There are only three weeks until Winter Break and it's going to absolutely fly by.  I'm so behind on so many big projects and I honestly am just shocked that it's already just a few weeks before Christmas.  I love how quickly time goes when it comes to work but geez...it's ridiculous.

Work story:  we have a new IT person.  He's young, ambitious, smart and really nice.  A little shy - not unusual for IT staff.  We were talking through some projects that are in process and he said 'I'll schedule it for Christmas break'.  And I said 'OK, but you will be here all by yourself - track your time and let me know how much you work and we'll arrange comp time'.  He said 'Comp time?  I know everyone else will be off but I'm new and don't have enough vacation to be off'.  I realized he thought he had to work those two weeks.  I was so happy to tell him 'we are closed those two weeks!  We are ALL OFF the full break - every year!'.  He was so excited!  It was so fun to totally make someone's day/week/month - he had no idea we are closed those two weeks.

I enjoyed a really quiet day at home yesterday until the guys arrived home around 9:30PM.  I felt like I did a lot of little things that needed doing and still enjoyed some down time.

I watched all four 90 minute episodes of the Gilmore Girls on Netflix and have to say I was a little disappointed.  The 'vibe' felt all wrong - Rory was all angst filled through every episode and her natural spunk and positivity were nowhere to be seen.  And after waiting YEARS for everything to be nicely packaged and wrapped up - the closure we needed after the abrupt cancellation of the show - there was some of that but it totally ended with a HUGE cliff hanger.  The only hope is that there will be additional 90 minute episodes - Netflix alludes to that by calling the 4 episodes 'Season 1' - but I sure hope we aren't going to be left hanging AGAIN.  The series abrupt end was hard to handle - but it was subtle.  They tried to cram as much as they could into the last episode.  But this cliff hanger? The last line of the 4 episodes?  There's nothing subtle about it.  I can't wait to hear what friends at work thought about the shows - we've all been waiting so long -

I honestly can't wait to crawl into my comfy, warm bed tonight and sleep a long sleep - I feel very tired.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...