Thursday, November 24, 2016

November Brings

November is always a hard month for me.

This past Monday was the 50th 'anniversary' of the day my dad died.  Anniversary sounds celebratory which is absurd.  But that milestone day was looming all month and when it arrived, I felt as expected.  That day shattered our lives and left us all shattered and broken.

Sure, we've all made it 50 years past that horrific event - and that's something to be glad for.  I've had a blessed life - but this month brings all kinds of introspection and 'what if' scenarios - and the 50th time this day has arrived certainly packed more of a punch than usual.

A friend of mine lost her sister suddenly and their entire family is coming together - tons of siblings there for each other and supporting a mom who lost her 72 year old daughter.  It made me sad to realize that there's no support like that happening in my family - ever.  But it is what it is and nothing to be done to fix it.  We're all fully ensconced in being what we are to each other - minimal though it may be.

Yesterday would have been my mom's 92nd birthday - and I miss her a lot everyday but especially on her birthday.

Life moves on - and this week, it's been all about lots of food and celebrating together.  We had our surf and turf dinner last night - it was delicious and we have plenty of lobster left to make lobster mac 'n cheese in a couple days for B.'s last dinner at home for awhile.

Today, the dishwasher has been run 4 times (so far) and we've got a feast well in process.  Dinner should be soon.

My Aunt M. is on the cover of the November AARP magazine and there's a great article about where she lives - a community where older people help raise foster kids - it's a really great place and she's an amazing woman.  I'm so excited for her - and so blessed to really know her because as great as the article about her is, there's no way they can convey her true magicness in print.  You have to really know her to know how special and gifted she is and what a blessing it is in my life to say 'I really know her!  How lucky am I?'

Another evening of too much food - and pie!!  Can't wait for pumpkin pie!

Love you, Mom & Dad - and hope you are enjoying a heavenly Thanksgiving.  Thank you for giving me a great start - and Dad, I sure wish I knew you much longer than a little more than six years.


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...