Saturday, September 24, 2016

We Are Actually Doing It

Really!  What?  FINALLY painting the stair risers!  I'm sure a professional painter would tsk tsk some of the work....for example, we realized there's a 'bif mark' from the piss poor paint job the builder did on the trim and we didn't see it before we started.  We should have sanded it down a bit but we didn't.  We will add that to the list of things to 'touch up'.  We also need to use some wood putty to patch the 'break' in the trim on the stairs that's been there since the dawn of time - something that every time I look at it, I'm irritated we didn't catch it during the walk through - sixteen years ago. Let it go already, Majah!

But thanks to the Sure-Line edger, it's not terribly hard and it's getting done.  The stairs down into the family room are done and four risers on the stairs heading to the 2nd story are also almost done.  We haven't killed each other and I'm tamping down my 'do it my way or die' tendencies as well as the slight perfectionist in me that comes out during manual labor.  It's been two years since we did the floors and I just want to get it done.  It couldn't look any worse than it has -

H. - who promised me he owed me four hours of labor for the money I advanced him to go to the movies earlier this week - went to Santa Cruz with friends.  I didn't mind the unexpected Santa Cruz trip - a long-time friend of his is visiting from Ireland (he lives there now which was news to me) and a bunch of friends decided to head to the beach.  Concert tonight and they are spending the night at someone's house.  Those kind of unexpected adventures are the ones you just have to seize the day on and I honestly had no issue with him going.

What I did have a HUGE issue with is when he left the house for '20 minutes' to go help some friends get air mattresses, etc. (for the overnight stay camping out on someone's floor) out of their attic. The 20 minuets turned into an hour and 45 minutes - time he could have been here helping and working off the advance he got for the movies.

To say he got reamed when he got home is putting it mildly.  The old patterns come back in a flash - he doesn't keep his agreements; doesn't respect the people he lives with; gives more care and attention to relationships of people he barely knows than he does the two adult parents he lives with.

I know 23 year olds are the epitome of selfish - but geez that kid pushed my buttons big time today.

He won't be home until mid-day tomorrow at the earliest so we are painting as fast as we can (for us) to see how much we can get done before he's home.

I think we will tape off the rest of the stairs today/tonight (hopefully) and paint in the morning (hopefully).  We're on a roll!  Let's keep that momentum going!

Chloe's insulin dose has been increased and she had a day at the vet having her levels read all day. She isn't feeling too well today - lethargic.  I was cleaning the treadmill in the family room (which I was on for a quarter mile this morning, by the way) and she walked over to the rug by the back door and peed a gallon - TWO FEET FROM ME.  No warning, no whine to go out - just said 'I need to pee so I'm going to'.  Grrrr.

She's not well and it shows.

We're trying to decide what to eat for dinner.  J. had the idea to go out - but I'm hot, sweaty and still in my PJ's technically (though it looks like a tank and shorts.  Boy shorts.) so I need to get dressed. Thai food sounds delicious and at least with no H., we can keep it less expensive.  Take out, I think.  I'm never in the mood to go out and it saves tip and beverages - so it's the frugal option as well.

More later.  We'll see how far we get on the stairs tomorrow and I will report back.



No comments:

Cooked

Actually cooked something for dinner this evening - trying to do a better job of using what we have and planning meals.  It's a small th...