Sunday, September 25, 2016

About Work

'It will never be completely easy. Whatever “it” is. For every moment of bright brilliance there will be many more moments of wading through deep marshes in thick fog wondering WTF is actually going on. Hang in there.'

Saw this on Facebook last night and it really resonates for me as related to work.

There's a lot happening on the work front and I don't write about work much 'cuz you just never know.

Change is always incredibly hard and we are trying to change our culture.  It's an uphill battle.  There are a great group standing beside me pushing a ginormous boulder up a steep hill - pushing as hard as we can all day, everyday.  It's exhausting.  It's even more so when there is a much larger group on the other side of the boulder pushing in the opposite direction.  Because there are many more of them and because they are on the side of downward motion, it's easier for them to push down.  Harder for those of us pushing up.

We are tired.  I've been re-reading materials and reminding myself that we knew going in this would be a very hard, long process but geez.  It's more troublesome than I expected.  Factions are created and the angst is growing by leaps and bounds.  Every little thing is a battle royal and what used to be simple is now not.

I know my role and my responsibility and I know I have to keep plugging away at it.  Keep pushing up as hard as I can with all the people standing beside me - and keep encouraging others to see the direction we're going will result in the betterment of our students - and ultimately, that's what we're all in this for.

I'm having strong flee responses lately and with a job possibility looming for next year, it has me unsettled - and I'm not good at unsettled.

It will get better.  Wading through deep marshes of fog wondering WTF will become the 'new norm' and someday, we will be at the top of that hill.  I know we will.

If the marshes don't kill us.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...