Monday, September 26, 2016

Meal Planning

After months of not feeling great, this past week, my skin started itching like crazy - especially (of all places) my wrists.  I couldn't help scratching and I'd look down and see they were welted and flaming red from the itching.

Also one night this past week, I got lazy about dinner and ate Frosted Flakes for dinner - and then had flan for dessert.  (Costco has flan in tiny glass jars - it's delicious!).

The next morning, I asked J. to help me use his glucose meter to test my blood.  He took a look at the strip and said 'you need to see a doctor'.  250 was my number.  He HAS diabetes and said 'I've never had a number that high'.  Next morning 225.  I ate incredibly carefully all day - next morning was 170.  I emailed my doctor to request he order the blood work and I went on Friday morning - the results are back and it's pretty much 'for sure' that I'm diabetic.  I also have very high triglycerides (while both my good and bad cholesterol are in an OK range).  I already take 2 anti-statins every day.  I have an appointment with the doctor on Thursday afternoon and anticipate adding a glucose meter and meds to my daily routine.

The high tryiglycerides combined with high blood sugar are a part of 'metabolic syndrome' - which puts me at high risk for heart disease and stroke.  Which doesn't surprise me but with my family history, it's a huge issue.

I searched immediately for meal plans and found EatingWell.com - seems like the answer to prayers. Clicked on 'Diabetes' and found multiple meal plans in various calorie ranges.  Used the tool to know how many calories to consume and selected the plan.  It seemed great!

I am making a grocery list for J. so he can go to Winco this week - and clicked on some of the recipes.  The first meal called for 'low sugar plum spread'.  TEN POUNDS of plums; 6 apples....cook them and then run them through a food mill.  Add sugar substitute (or sugar) and make a jelly. Seriously?  There is no way I am making from scratch jam.  Maybe when I retire...but now?  No way.

Lunch was 'Shrimp Bisque'.  I love bisque soups - but once again....maybe on a weekend I could make it...

I need to find quick, easy options to help me eat better and that's what's been so hard.  Pretty much ALL the things I've done to eat better are things that are increasing my triglycerides.  Nuts are my go to snack - they are mostly a 'no'.  Coconut oil is a no.  Butter - which I use because margarines are processed oil and gross - is a no.

I think when I see my doctor on Thursday, I'm going to ask if I can see a nutritionist.

If we hadn't spent a lot of the weekend painting (and HUGE kudos to hubby who finished taping off all the stairs!), then cooking all weekend would have been fine - but on weekends like this, it's impossible to make fresh jam and shrimp bisque.

The painting yesterday worked 'cuz my legs are sore.  And I did get on the treadmill, too.  I am determined to move more and will be up at 5AM tomorrow to give myself time to get on the treadmill for 20+ minutes.  Starting slow but starting.


No comments:

March

I'm starting to think maybe I will just do a monthly post and call it what it is - whatever month we're in.  Here we are winding dow...