Saturday, November 14, 2015

DVR Madness

Awhile back, Dish Network forced me to swap out the DVR in my bedroom for a new unit.  I didn't give it much thought - which was sort of a breakthrough for me 'cuz I had totally freaked out the last time this happened.  That time, I made Jim put all the things on the box onto DVDs - a process that included him moving the box into the room with the recorder and playing every recorded item to get it onto a DVD.

I have no idea where that DVD is and have lived happily without all those shows I couldn't live without.  So second time around, I was way more nonchalant about it all.  

I lost William and Kate's wedding events which crushes me every time I think of it - but oh well.  J. said he was sure I could find the wedding on DVD - but there was one particular part of the NBC recording where an American there pointed out what was the sweetest moment for her - as Kate and William were leaving the balcony, she stopped for one last look out - and William sweetly took her hand and guided her inside.  Such an endearing moment and I don't think any video will have it.  But I remember, right?  So that's good enough.

This topic of the DVR also reminds me of something else I've been meaning to mention - the new DVR box has a bright blue 'power' light....and after a couple freakish late night moments, I realized that if that light remains on, it casts very odd shadows across the ceiling of the room and when you are trying to go to sleep or wake up in the middle of the night, those shadows appear to move - and scared the crap out of me more times than I should admit to.

All this DVR talk is to get to the issue that surfaced this week - all my timers are gone and I've been neglectful in setting them back up.  I've totally, completely missed this year's Best British Baking Show - the entire event off my radar.  I somehow noticed - maybe a Facebook link - the show was on and the final is this week - then I scrambled to watch as many episodes as I could on PBS - but I've missed one through four and won't be able to watch them until they are on Netflix next year.  

And coincidentally, my cousin loves the show, too!!  I was going to tell her my sad saga of having missed a favorite show and she mentioned that she's enjoying a 'new' show - and it was the same show!

I've had a completely lazy day and while I felt a little guilt and was hard on myself about it, my sweet husband said 'you've worked a long, hard week - so it's OK.  Be lazy today'.  Ahhhh....that's love right there.  

We went to dinner and Gallo last night with friends - Kathleen Madigan was so, so funny.  The evening was very fun and the couple we spent time with our two of the dearest people on the planet. We really need to try to get together more often.  J. and the husband (R.) get together monthly for lunch - I jokingly refer to R. as 'your other wife' 'cuz J. says things like 'I need to go there with R.'...even the boys are like 'Dad, go there with your wife!!'.  But it's all in good fun and they are great, many decades together friends and it shows.  

The many terrorist events in Paris yesterday make my stomach sink - so sad.  So wrong.  I feel like a lot of people - I've just run out of words.  There are no words.  


No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...