Sunday, November 15, 2015

Scion is No More

H.'s car is confirmed as a total loss.  The insurance company has a department that handles everything.  We sheepishly admit we were shocked at the amount - and no, not because it was so little.  It was considerably more than we ever imagined recouping and though they said the 'total loss department' was very backed up and to expect a delay, the funds for the car are already pending in our bank account - so start to finish, it's been about 10 days.  Not bad considering -

H. paid for 50% of the car but we felt he should pay the full deductible since it's his fault the car is now junk - still, he got a boost to his bank account which will get him through many weeks without drawing on his long-term savings.  We got a boost in savings too - and my sweet hubby gave the OK to also move some to my fun $ account, which makes me happy.  Very happy.

The insurance company also has a department that helps policy holders replace their car - so now J. has to tell them what he wants (a fully-loaded Honda Accord hybrid) and they will find it, negotiate a price for us and arrange financing.  Yes, really.  That's full-service insurance right there.  Not a 'name your price' policy.  I don't think we would ever insure our cars through any other carrier besides AAA.  They have been stellar through this entire process.

I was sort of hoping to put off the new car purchase until January - to avoid an annual registration payment in the same month we have Christmas - and to give us until the next tax year to make a retirement savings withdrawal - but whenever it happens, it's fine.  We'll manage.  I think this car buying process has produced sort of a 'break through' with the two of us - 'cuz all I really want to know is how much can we withdraw annually and be comfortable about the money lasting the rest of our lives.  No one wants to commit to giving us said number - they always ask a zillion questions about our expenses, etc. - and I'm at the point where I want to say 'no, you don't need to concern yourself with the outflow we need to cover - you just need to tell us what is a comfortable, safe withdrawal number and we'll figure out the rest'.  And then I want to withdraw that amount every year - even in years when we don't 'need it'....to start building up after tax cash.  That's a critical component of the 'Majah isn't working anymore' scenarios - having adequate cash to cushion unexpected things that we all know happen in day-to-day life'.  I felt like J. finally 'got that' - we keep avoiding withdrawing and technically, he's been retired for a few years now and we should be able to withdraw annually - and hopefully not need it.

J. and H. and a friend of H. ventured to the body shop where the Scion was towed and took out the stereo - I was picturing the dash unit and arrived home on Friday night to find a HUGE (really, I don't know how they ever fit in the car) set of speakers that had been custom installed behind the back seat of the car.  J. says H. wants to store them in the rafters of the garage in case he ever has a car where they can be re-installed.  I am suggesting he try to list them on Craig's list and sell them - if/when he gets a car he wants to customize again with an over-the-top stereo system, he can do that then.

I'm really averse to more junk in the rafters of the garage.

I came downstairs this morning to rain and a dog who would not go out.  She'd left presents on the throw rugs in the family room...so....yeah, it's Sunday...it has cleared up now and is sunny and clear. More wind expected later today.

I am heading to work shortly - thanks to my cousin for the Facebook pep talk.  A few hours of stuff will help cover for the time I will not be in the office this week - all day conference tomorrow.  We are all in pre-Thanksgiving week off mode - actually, I'm not sure who's going to be off.  We have to use paid time off for the M-T of the week - but most will.  Use two days vacation and get 10 days off in a row - it's a 'bargain' on the paid time off scale.

Last night for dinner, J. and I made cheese bread sticks - and the crust was made with cauliflower! Tonight, we are going to use additional 'riced' (just chopped up in a food processor to the size of rice grans) to make stir fried cauliflower rice.  (I actually think I might throw in a little brown rice, too but we'll see).  Last night's effort was pretty good - though I overdid the cheese on top so it was a bit 'heavy'.  Homemade marinara sauce to dunk - everyone seemed OK with it so we might try it again and use pizza toppings like pepperoni and sausage next time, too.

Alright - I'm heading out.  Well, first I have to get dressed..but then I'm really going.  :-)

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...