Sunday, March 17, 2013

RASP!

Yesterday, J. was awakened by B. calling - forgetting that it's 3 hours earlier here?  He told J. some good news and bad news.  Upon my awakening (a couple hours later), I got to talk to B. - no timer!  The bad news: he's not going to get a week off after Basic Training so no trip home.  The good news?  He was offered and signed a RASP (Ranger Assessment & Selection Program) contract last week!  He is so excited - and deservedly so!  The kid has worked his heart out to reach that goal - and what a great thing to accomplish.  I've been afraid to think about it too much - fearing I would jinx it and/or preparing for the disappointment.  I thought he had a PT (Physical Test) still to come - but it turned out they called him into the 'office' and offered him either Special Forces or RASP - he took RASP.  It's an honor to be offered either - both is a dream.  B. chose RASP because it's more of an 'action' position.  But Special Forces is still an option...

He will finish Basic in a few weeks; then head to Airborne training for two weeks then to RASP.  He finishes RASP at the end of June - and who knows where from there.  If he's selected as a Ranger, he would be based at one of three bases - two in Georgia and one in Washington (the state - not DC).  He hopes for Washington 'cuz at least it's on the same coast as home.  If he doesn't make RASP - then we'll see.  That's the part that scares me - but I am working hard at not worrying about all the 'what-if's'.  I'm just going to enjoy the moment - continue to be incredibly proud of him - and pray about it all as often as I can.  It will work out....

He sounds very good and thoroughly enjoyed his 32 hour pass.  He had dinner at TGI Fridays last night with a bunch of his friends.  They stayed in town, enjoying comfortable beds and hot showers and eating with no time limits!

His pass ends in a couple hours.  He called again this morning - another nice long-ish call.  And we've been Facebook IM'ing off and on all weekend.  It's been so great to hear from him - he sounds so great and so happy. 

We also got a really long letter from him - and after describing one of the activities they engaged in the past couple weeks, he commented that he still frequently thinks 'I can't believe I just got paid to do that!'.  Good sign when you love what you're doing and getting paid is a bonus!

I am cooking quite possibly the smallest corned beef ever - and J. keeps gently reminding me that it's just the two of us and it will be plenty!  I know he's right - but it's so odd to cook such small portions of things.

I've been enjoying my long weekend - and looking forward to another long weekend next weekend when we celebrate our 23rd!  It's Sunday and I'm sort of wishing I had just taken the entire week off - but oh well.  Three days will fly by and I do have plenty to do. 

We are waiting for the arrival of son #2 who will be working for four hours today to earn the $ we advanced him mid-week so he could go out to dinner and a movie with his 'friend'.  H.'s budgeting skills continue to be lacking...but we're getting by.  He won't be thrilled about working for us today but oh well.  I'm not exactly thrilled about spending my Sunday supervising, either - but that's life.  Yard work!

We've got 70's and 80's music blaring in the family room - doors and windows open to let in fresh air.  It's Spring-like!  J. and I've celebrated the weekend by eating out a lot and shopping a little.  J. has needed new clothes for a really long time - and I'm taking advantage of a tidier closet that makes knowing what I need to 'add' so much easier.  My goal is to get to a solid set of work outfits that I feel really good in - and then giving away the rest.  It's time... I bought a pretty skirt and top to wear to B.'s graduation in April - and if it looks nice, I might just shock the heck out of everyone at work and wear a skirt to work!  That would be a surprise.

Chloe got her shots on Friday and she's a little 'off' this weekend.  Not her usual bouncing off the walls self.  It's like when your kid is sick - you just feel so bad for them and would do anything to get them back to normal.  I'm sure she will feel better in a couple days. The vet complimented J. on how great she looks - she's got a nice hourglass shape (thanks to more walks and fewer treats!) and she's looking really svelte! 

Congratulations to B. on an amazing accomplishment.  When he sets his mind to something, he is unstoppable!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...