Monday, July 09, 2012

Katie and Tom

20 years from now, I'll be re-reading this post and probably not remember who in the heck Katie and Tom are....in fact, last weekend I was at Target when J. texted me 'Tom and Katie split up'.  And I had absolutely no idea who he was talking about - cousins?  Work friends?  He texted me back...ahhh....no surprise really.

Say what you want about Scientologists, but their parenting perspectives are different.  And yet, it had never occurred to me prior to all the hub bub about Katie and Tom that Nicole Kidman lost her kids to Scientology and Tom Cruise.  The kids stayed in LA with him - and why wouldn't they?  Pre-teen kids given the choice to be with the permissive Scientologist parent or the mom who likely was doing most of the actual parenting?  Of course they stayed with Tom!  Kudos to Katie for wanting to raise a child that understands the word 'no'.  

Anyway, I'm happy for Katie.  And I think she finally got a clue.  As if his insistence at calling her 'Kate' and stating 'she is a child-bearing woman now - Katie is a girls name' wasn't enough to make her run for the hills years ago.  She was smart and savvy and handled it all expediently and beautifully.  I've been a fan of hers forever and now, I add 'genius' to the list of adjectives that I use to describe her.  Brilliantly handled.  Sure, it helps to have a lawyer for a dad and a husband who was in Iceland filming a movie.  But every move she made in the past few months now seems strategic - and I applaud her ingenuity and decisiveness.

All is well here - it's hot and getting hotter but I can't complain too much 'cuz it's approaching mid-July and this is the first solid week of intense heat we've had.  Compared to back east where it's been unbelievable warm, humid and people have been without power for a week or more.  Crazy!

J. is heading to San Fran tomorrow for lunch with his work friends.  We are meeting family in San Leandro for dinner - carefully planning to pick up H. at his job in Livermore.  He doesn't want to go....he's tired after his full day of 'manual labor'....but we'll see.  I understand.

Tomorrow, I am taking vitamins in the morning and forcing myself to eat breakfast at 5AM.  My lack of energy is troublesome and while some of it is just the heat - I wilt in heat like a gentle flower :-)  - I have to get my ass in gear and snap out of this lethargy.  We are a few weeks away from another school year starting and it's busier than ever around work.  Construction projects at every single site and it's a zoo....and I'm the zookeeper.  Ha ha ha....

My boss returned from Thailand and we had lunch together to catch up.  No emergencies in his absence which was great.  I had only one week off (vs. the two or three I usually enjoy) and I think that is part of the exhaustion.  I will try to take some long weekends in the fall...and have scheduled a few weeks off here and there.  It's just sticking to the scheduled time off that's hard.  But I'm sure going to try. 

Must go to bed.  So very tired.  More later this week.  Not that anything is all that exciting around here - but that's not a bad thing.  Algae in the pool is the most pressing 'crisis' at this point -

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...