Sunday, November 06, 2011

Falling Back

It's 1:35AM on Sunday...and I happen to be awake. So now I'm trying to stay awake to see how my computer's clock resets at 2AM for Daylight Savings Time. Bored? No....just not sleeping.

I am home alone with son #2 - J. and B. are in Marin for tonight - B. is participating in his first triathlon tomorrow morning (bright and early) and J. is his 'crew'.

H. was to be home at 10 for the night - earlier than usual because I started my day this morning with a raging migraine that had me throwing up. Stayed in bed most of the morning....and H. agreed to be home early 'cuz I'm not feeling that great and want to know where he is.

I woke at 12:20AM and he was not home. I called him and he was with a friend who had just gotten off work. He came home. He insisted he was home at 10PM - admitted he was a little late so it was closer to 10:30 - but he was home. I doubted that to be true because the house was exactly as it was when I went to bed. Same lights on (including one that shouldn't have been left on but I left it on 'cuz I was too tired to go to that side of the house and turn it of). No dishes in the sink or on the coffee table in the family room. [H. has a snack (meal!) every night before he goes to bed. Without fail. He's a bottomless pit. So no evidence of his '4th meal' is a pretty good clue he wasn't here.] So was he home? I don't know. But he didn't stay home if he was. So he's grounded. We will talk specifics tomorrow. It won't be a long grounding - but enough to remind him that when he says he will do something - come home for the night at 10PM - he needs to do it. Period. End of story. And most especially on a night when I am home alone and it's stormy outside and my head still feels like there's something inside it ready to explode any minute. Not throwing up anymore (thank God....truly....it's been a long, long time since I've had one of 'those' headaches and I just felt like 'please, God, please let it be over 'cuz truly, this is no way to feel'...horrible feeling....). We can talk things over at breakfast - pancakes and bacon!

Ironically, he was with a friend who was kicked out of her house by her mom - for being late multiple nights in a row. I reminded H. that keeping agreements is important - and since his friend is someone who has been through rehab and should know that regaining parental trust is hard, it seems she should realize that defying her mom's direction on what time to be home nightly isn't prudent. I don't like the idea of a young lady sleeping in her car - but I'm not getting in the middle of it. It's complicated. I work with her mother. 'Nuf said.

It's almost 2AM but really only 1AM. I love this time change - love gaining an extra hour. Love how tomorrow I will feel like I've gotten so much done with that 'extra' time. And since today was an 'in bed most of the day' kind of day, I've got loads to do....

The cat is seeking the warmth of feet to curl up on....he misses J.. Klink even headed to H.'s room (while we were talking) and then I realized that he was roaming all over H.'s bed - his pillow, especially - and that can't happen. H. is allergic to cats. As long as he doesn't come in direct contact with them, he is fine...but cat hair/dander on his bed linens would probably be bad. So Klink followed my instructions - he jumped down off the bed and came out of the room. Klink is good at doing what he's asked. You really can 'train' a cat. Sure, sometimes he blows me off. Usually at 5 in the morning when he refuses to exit the bedroom on cue so I can close the door as I head downstairs. But most of the time, he's pretty good at following directions.

H. should take note of that - A CAT is following instructions. Hmmmm....

It's now 1:52AM and I've decided I don't care what my computer's clock is going to do in 8 (now 7) minutes. It's cold in here. I'm taking some ibuprofen and drinking some water (I am positive the headache was triggered by me being dehydrated - I went to a work function last night and didn't drink nearly enough water before, during or after - and I had a headache when I arrived and nothing to take. Breaking two of my rules for migraine abatement: stay hydrated and ALWAYS have something with you in case a headache starts. It's been so long since one got out of control, I sort of forgot. And I had changed purses this past week so my Excedrin Migraine wasn't in my purse last night).

4 minutes and counting. If I keep blathering on about absolutely nothing, I might make it....

How exciting. At one minute after 1:59, the clock changed to 1:00.

It wasn't worth it. But happy to write a post to share how non-exciting it was.

PS - I noticed that the published time on the post is the time I started the post - not the actual time I hit 'post'. I'd never noticed that before. Not that it matters - I knew Blogger doesn't re-date a post - if you start it and save it and publish later, it's going to publish with the day you started it unless you reset...

Little things you notice when it's quiet and you're paying attention to date and time.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...