Sunday, July 10, 2011

Upgrade!

We spent the few hours we needed to kill at the neighbors who graciously agreed to let us store luggage at their condo. The mom invited us in and we chilled there for a few hours - watching TV and watching the HUGE storm that came in. Pouring, POURING rain, lightening, thunder, wind..it was wild!! We were so grateful to be cool and dry and have a place to spend a few hours. The boys went to town to get henna tattoos, which was unfortunate because the rain started during their tattoo application - so they both were smudged. Poor H. slipped and fell into about 12 inches of rain water that was flooding the intersection - he was soaked and dirty and our shuttle was arriving any minute. J. (who should win Father of the Year for his heroics) used our neighbors blow dryer to hand-dry H.'s new red Converse shoes (the only shoes he had to wear home) and we used their clothes dryer to dry his shirt. He pulled a pair of shorts out of the dirty laundry suitcase and wore those home.

We had a delicious lunch delivered to us by Aldi - who though soaking wet, seemed (as he always did) happy to be helpful and happy to have something to do. Not a lot of need for a cabana boy when it's pouring rain. It was a fun few hours and we were so grateful to M. and H. opening their home to us and spending their last full day hosting neighbors they barely knew.

The gate staff at the airport announced they had four first class seats available - so I tried to use miles. While I have plenty (tons) of miles, they were (apparently) not the kind I could use to upgrade (?). I asked how much to upgrade just using cash and it was $350. I said 'ok'....but then quickly said 'never mind - I'm ok'. I'd already upgraded to 'Economy Plus' (for $59) and was fine with that - and while I really wanted to fly first class (never done that on a longer flight and have only EVER done it once on a quick trip), I didn't want to spend the money.

When I boarded the flight and approached my seat - 7D - first row in Economy class, there was someone standing and blocking my seat. So I waited and he said 'are you seated here?' 'Yes'. 'We'd like to ask you to trade with us - would you take my wife's seat in first class so we can all sit together'? 'Um....yes, sure - thank you!'. SO I DID FLY HOME FIRST CLASS and it didn't cost me a dime.

And I know one thing now with certainty: it's not really worth it. It wasn't any more comfortable than in Economy Plus. Sure, there are fewer people vying for one bathroom and you don't have to walk very far to the bathroom. And yes, your meal is better - it's on plates with real silverware and it was good. But the seats weren't very comfortable - really....they aren't! And maybe it's the changes at United (since their merger with Continental) - but they just don't really make First Class an 'experience'. We got one drink service - and then she refilled water the entire time. She wasn't 'engaged' in making First Class an upgrade - so it really wasn't that great. And that's good for me to know 'cuz it sort of takes the 'mystique' out of it. Why pay extra just to have slightly better bathroom access and a meal on plates? Seriously - no point. So that's good for me to have experienced 'cuz I don't think I would pay more than double an economy ticket to fly First Class....

Maybe if we ever fly around the world or something.....like New Zealand or Asia or something? But not for a flight that's not a really, REALLY long haul.

We arrived in San Francisco 45 minutes early - and were home just after 10PM. Spent an hour making up with Klink who expressed his discontent with his loud, low 'whiny' cry. I brushed him and cuddled with him and he settled down - content his family is home. This morning, he's looking around for Chloe and we'll be picking her up at 3 (as soon as the kennel opens for Sunday pickups).

This morning is a trip to the grocery and unpacking. B. is having a houseguest for a couple days...so that will be interesting. I need to meal plan and get ready for 'company'. And - sadly - I have to go into work for an hour or so tomorrow morning. I plan to get up early and get it over with....and the good thing about it is: it is the last 'work' I will have to do until the 20th. There are only two signers in our district and I'm one of them - so I need to go in and sign things, review things that need reviewing, get things moving forward as much as I can and then I'm done....

We had a really great vacation and it was a lot of fun. We're all glad to be home....but already dreaming of our next trip to Mexico.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

None of this trip would have happened without you, Majah! Thanks for everything!

J and B and H.

Majah said...

It was a great time - love you all - and happy to be the family 'arranger'....

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...