Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Mirage

I'm having a great time in Vegas getting to know my cousin D. and her husband M. and their extended family. It's been so much fun.

Yesterday, the guys went to play poker and the girls (and one guy) headed to the outlet mall. It is unbelievably huge! And of course, like most outlet malls, it was outside. Scorching heat. No breeze of any kind. There are 'misters' all over the place but they don't seem to do much - theses were too high so the water was already evaporated before it had any chance of cooling a person off. Still, we trudged through store after store in search of bargains.

I scored two small purses and one larger purse at the Dooney & Bourke outlet store - $300 retail for $138 including tax. At that price, I continued shopping and bought two small cosmetic bags, which I really need. And they threw in a beach towel! Such a deal!

It's a great group - flexible. We sat in the food court to cool off a bit and when some folks decided to go search for the Nike store, others (myself included) decided to stay put - stay out of the heat and enjoy each others company.

We took cabs to/from and let's just say that I did not enjoy the cab ride one little bit. It was all I could do not to brace myself against the dash continuously. I'm sure they are good drivers but yikes! It doesn't feel that way weaving in and out of traffic.

After a long day shopping, we headed back. Their group is staying at Treasure Island. I am at the Mirage. There is a tram that connects the two properties. And of course - after trudging in the heat for hours - my feet were so, so tired - the tram was not in service so I had to walk back to the hotel. Thankfully, a Treasure Island employee told me a short cut so it wasn't too bad. I headed straight for the shower. Had a nice dinner at BB's - fried green tomatoes and a salad with chicken strips. And a chocolate martini!

Today, my Oklahoma family leaves. I don't leave until Thursday. We went shopping 'cuz we figured that was less expensive than gambling - so I will shop a bit today. Am going to the Dooney & Bourke retail store in The Venetian mall to get my hubby a wallet for a belated Father's Day gift.

Probably some pool time today - and lots of reading time. And possibly a nap.

I miss my hubby and my kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They miss you, too!

Sandra said...

Glad you are having a great time Mindy....you certainly deserve it.

Take care girlfriend...always thinking of you :-)

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...