Sunday, July 18, 2010

55th

Disneyland turned 55 yesterday...

We were last there to celebrate the park's 50th birthday - which I remember because I have a 50th anniversary Cinderella's Castle key chain that I keep my work keys on (hey, where are my work keys? Haven't seen them in weeks. Must add that to the 'OMG I'm going back to work tomorrow to-do list: find work keys).....

I am looking into a possible time to go down there for a few days. Hard to wedge in but we're going to do it.

Sort of 'glad' that I didn't realize it was the park's 55th BEFORE I went to Vegas 'cuz I would have really not wanted to spend money on purses, etc. if I'd been also trying to wedge in a Disneyland trip into our vacation budget. (Must add 'switch to a beautiful new purse' to my back to work to-do list as well. Just have to decide which one. :-) ).....

Hoping a four day weekend we have in November (the Veteran's day holiday weekend) might work.

The only bad thing is: Disney now charges $100 for making a reservation. So if I reserve the room and we're not able to make it (work schedules, financial reasons, etc.), we've lost $100 for canceling the reservation. There's something that doesn't sit well with me about that policy. I realize they are reserving rooms and if people just keep reserving and then canceling, their occupancy rate suffers - but being flexible is part of running a hotel. Where else does reserving a room and then canceling end up costing you? Really? So doesn't it seem even worse to have that policy for making reservations at 'the happiest place on earth'?

It's enough to make me not stay at the park hotels. Though, once you've 'splurged' and stayed at the Grand Californian, there is no going back. Even my uber-frugal husband admits that is his hotel of choice if we're going down there.

That says a lot, people.....'cuz he'd camp in a pup tent if we could.

J. is playing golf this morning for the first time in over a year. His shoulder injury is healed enough that he can hit the links. It's a memorial tournament for a dear friend of his who died recently - so it's fitting that this is the first time he's played in awhile.

I hear the troops upstairs moving about which means I'd better get moving myself. I have a growing to-do list today......and must get to bed by 9-ish in order to be vertical early in the AM - before trudging off to the trenches of my office.

Vacation was lovely......but sadly, we must part ways officially this evening. Until next time....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...