Saturday, July 31, 2010

Kit-Kat

I've fallen asleep two nights in a row attempting to watch the recorded most recent episode of Ace of Cakes. Last night, I fell asleep with my clothes on around 7:30ish and slept all night! I think I woke up briefly around 3AM and decided 'well, I think I should just keep sleeping' (vs. getting up and taking off my clothes) so I did. Though I was up at 5:20 this morning - but that's still the longest night's sleep I've had since LAST weekend. So it's fine that I'm up early. Enjoying some chat time with my AZ cousin before starting the day.

Let's see.....family news is that H. was accepted at the Charter High School we visited in the Spring. His summer school attendance there fell through when he went to Oakland for 30 days in-patient. But we confirmed he still wanted to attend there this fall so they scheduled an interview. And then rescheduled an interview upon seeing what he was suspended for at the end of last year. That 'infraction' got him bumped up to a meeting with the district's superintendent. Gulp! But it went fine and he's in. He's very excited. Good fresh start for him and the format (part online, part in class) is a good option for him. He really enjoyed the cyber class he took last spring - so this new school will really give him the chance to work at his own pace and make progress more quickly than a traditional 'lecture' format. He's happy.

He's been working his community service hours for his traffic tickets - painting railings, pulling weeds, etc. He's done a good job and I get a lot of compliments about him daily, which is nice. He really is a 'good kid'. That's been good for me to 'see' - we have done things 'right' with him and he's got a good head on his shoulders (when he's sober) and has a kind heart. He's also as charming as ever.

He's currently working his wiles on us to get a kitten. His friend got a kitten and he's enthralled with the concept of having one of his own. He wants it to be a boy and to call him 'Kitty'. And for the cat to be an outside cat. I've never had an outside cat - so I have no idea how that 'works' - it seems 'good' in theory - but I will be constantly afraid the cat will get killed by a car. So I'm not sure I can handle that. And outside cats bring 'presents' - the thought of a dead bird or other dead (or dying - OMG, even worse) creature on my back door mat makes me cringe....I don't think I would do well with an 'outdoor' cat.

We have said over and over that the pets we have now (one cat - 13 years old; one dog - 5 years old; one bird - ?? old - she's at least 12 years old and she will probably outlive us all) are the last pets we intend to have. But H. really wants a kitten....and I really want H. to have whatever he wants that he's even remotely interested in as long as it's not an illegal chemical substance. He's so earnest in his appeals for this latest 'cause'.

It doesn't help that I am a cat person - I love cats. And since Chloe (the dog) is so good with Klink (the cat), I know that if we had a little cat who would grow up with Chloe, they'd be fast friends. Chloe would happily play with Klink - but because Klink is merely tolerating the canine in the house, there's not a lot of interaction. You can really see Chloe waiting patiently and trying so hard to get Klink to be interested. She sits so patiently - doesn't make a move or a sound - except the slightest tail wag when she thinks Klink might be approaching for some real interaction. And then just the slightest hint of disappointment (in her ears, usually) when she realizes that he's just walking by her. Not really interested in her other than that she is physically there and therefore, he must walk by her to get where he's going.

So a new kitten might be more interactive with Chloe - and I can see the two of them curled up together on the couch for hours each day....

It's tempting. But then not. But then it is again. Stay tuned. My husband will be reading this shortly and I can already see the expression on his face and the slight shaking of his head 'no'. He is not a cat person. Never has been. Never will be. But in our 20+ year marriage, he has tolerated many a cat. He's a good sport. And he's a great dad.

So we'll see......not likely. Not by a long shot. But I told H. 'if a cat finds us, then we'll see. Every cat I've ever had has 'found' me....sometimes it's been at a rescue event and with one look, they became 'my cat'. One cat I rescued when she was left in a vacant apartment. I kept telling my landlord 'there's a kitten in that apartment' and she insisted that wasn't possible. But she finally went with me and looked - and sure enough, the smallest orange tabby kitten I've ever seen was hiding behind the couch. I took her in - and loved her for a long time before she died. She was a great cat. They tend to 'find you'. So if one finds you/us, then we'll see.... '.

I fully expect H. to be trolling the neighborhood looking for strays.....

It's a WEEKEND!!! I find myself getting as excited about weekends as I do about vacations - the thought of two days in a row of sleeping in! I love sleeping in....even if it's sleeping in until just after 5. That is actually later than I usually get up....so it counts!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...