Sunday, August 01, 2010

Things We Did Today

It was a wonderful Sunday.....a busy, full day. Here's what we did:

  • Pruned trees in the backyard. Our 10 year old trees are full and lush - and we had them trimmed last year. This year, we did it ourselves - got out the pruning tools and had at it. I started on one last night and J. helped me finish this morning. He found the pruning saw attachment so that helped.....we still have a bit to work on but the yard waste bin is jammed full so we'll have to do some more next weekend.
  • We also pruned our beautiful Japanese maple which is currently struggling with some kind of spider infestation. I've been regularly hosing (power washing) it off - and within a day, the spider webs are back in full force. Today, I topped off the gangly upper branches and pruned back the lower branches. It's needed that pruning for a long time - but it's so hard to cut branches off. I always look and think 'oh no, it's ruined' - it looks so sparse. But it will fill back in pretty quickly and hopefully, the spiders will vacate since I've cut back so many branches.
  • Gas tank's full. Traveling to Oakland three nights a week means I'm back to filling up twice a week (at least).
  • Grocery shopped and WalMart shopped - the school sites are back this week and we have our first Cabinet meeting of the year. I had to pick up snacks for the meeting - plus food, toiletries, etc. for us. I have to admit I'm liking WalMart these days - and the prices are great. Can't wait until WinCo opens - this fall, I think.
  • I took a nap today - a rare thing. I seldom nap these days - too busy and/or don't want to risk having trouble sleeping. But I felt tired so I slept a little over an hour.
  • We initiated what we hope will be a weekly event - Family Dinner. Sunday nights at 6:30. H. helped with the cooking. B. was available since he doesn't work until 8PM tonight. So we've set this one night a week aside to sit at the dining table and eat together. I know that seems odd - that we have to 'set time aside' - but we do. We are rarely in the same place at the same time - but we're committing to working hard at being home for dinner on Sundays. The menu tonight was grilled rib eye steaks, smashed restaurant style potatoes and chocolate molten lava cake. All delicious. It was a pleasant evening - already looking forward to next week.
It's been a pleasant, full weekend. Hope it's a pleasant, full week as well.....

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...