Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Dinner

About a month ago, we started a family dinner night. We have a sit-down dinner every Sunday - and H. helps me cook. J. helps, too.... I try a new recipe every week and see how everyone reacts. Tonight was Chicken Scallopini - sauteed chicken in a mushroom-y cream sauce on fettuccine.

The weekly ordeal tradition is fun. I plan the meal carefully and usually pick up any missing 'supplies' that day. It's supposed to be a time for H. and I to spend time together - and this whole ordeal idea was H.'s - a way to have dedicated family time where we all sit down together and talk about our week - either the week we just finished or the week we are about to start. Our dining room gets used every week, which is great 'cuz it's the least used room in the house. We don't do the 'fancy china' every week -

It's fun - though it has it's ups and downs. The boys sometimes argue over the stupidest things - and once an argument starts, it's silence all around.....which is OK 'cuz at least if there's silence, they're not going at each other for some ridiculous slight - real or perceived.

The first few weeks, I made fancy desserts. Tonight, I offered fresh pineapple - which they were not interested in. If I hadn't worked all day, I would have made brownies. Maybe next week....

My only complaint is that by the time I finish cooking the meal, I'm no longer hungry. It's not 'cuz I'm 'tasting' as I go - I don't. I just have very little appetite for what I have just created for some reason. Oh well - maybe cooking for my family is a new dieting method? I have actually lost a couple pounds since we started our weekly gatherings.

OK - here's a bunch of miscellaneous stuff I've been meaning to mention:

1) Is there some policy or an unwritten rule that requires that all Trader Joe's parking lots are a freaking nightmare? We've been going to the store in Berkeley on occasion (since we're in that neighborhood a couple nights a week) and the parking lot there is as scary as every other TJ's parking lot I've ever been in. It sort of makes me want to avoid going there - but I love TJ's. Who doesn't? There's even a Facebook group trying to get one in Tracy - which would be lovely. In fact, across the street from our neighborhood, is a for sale sign offering the vacant land for a 'shopping center' - and TJ's would be perfect there!! I could walk - and avoid the parking nightmare!

2) The new "This Week" with Christiane Amanpour is just not my cup of tea. I miss George. I am glad she still has the 'Roundtable' segment - but everything else feels like it's her own private 60 Minutes or Dateline - and it just isn't providing the same level of 'caring' as when George was at the helm. I love her - have always loved her - but in this format, she's falling flat - at least for me. We still watch it religiously - but so far, I'm not enjoying it much.

3) We've been attempting to watch Pillars of the Earth - had seen the previews for this mini-series at the movies awhile back - and we stumbled across it one evening as we were channel surfing. J. was hugely excited because it turns out it's one of his all time favorite books. In fact, the book was sitting on the shelf next to his desk - so he pulled it off the shelf and I used it as reference.

Here's the thing: I don't really enjoy movies if I don't know how it turns out. I most especially don't enjoy movies full of a lot of violence, death and mayhem - and while I am absolutely enthralled and loving the movie, the violence is hard on me.

So I try to read ahead - and can tell you that the movie does not follow the book very well. I'd never picked up the book ever in my life - but within 8 minutes, I knew that they made (significant) changes to the sequencing of some of the events. So that makes me reading ahead to figure out what comes next a bit challenging. It has compelling characters and a good story - and I'm sticking with it. But I've got J. watching ahead now - so he can mute the TV when someone is about to be be-headed. Which happens a lot. Wow, those were rough times....

4) I had a physical this week. I'm sure my doctor will be charging my insurance company a fortune for this physical - but he literally spent about 15 minutes with me. All of my 'complaints' were answered with 'so let's get some blood work done and we'll see what it looks like and then we'll come up with a plan'. So 6 tubes of blood later, I was done - after waiting over an hour to see him (and I was his very first appointment).....crazy.

I do seem to be relatively healthy, considering my age and my 'out of shape/overweight' status. So I'm hoping the blood work comes back normal....still waiting for the results.

I also had a TB test (required for work) and went to get it checked on Friday. Had to be the doctor that read the test - and they were so packed (I have NEVER seen the office and parking lot so full), they stuck me in a store-room like room, with a piece of paper clipped to the door stating 'read PPD'. I don't think the doctor would have even remember to go to that room - except I was standing in the doorway when he cruised by - so he stopped and took care of reading my non-positive test.

I love my doctor - love him to pieces. But wow - this week's 'service' leaves a lot to be desired. On a good note, though - it's a reminder that even when you're pretty sure you are not healthy; even when you feel unhealthy; even when your symptoms are somewhat scary (at times) and a problem (sometimes) - it's all about what your blood work shows. If something is wrong, your blood will show it - so if my blood work is good, then I'm good! Simple! Yes, room for improvement - but at least I know if my blood is OK, I'm 'good'. Relatively speaking.

5) I've been working a lot of weekends again - it's year-end. My job never ends. Oh well. Good job security. I am finding it easier to get up on weekend mornings and head to work (at a leisurely late 10AM-ish, depending on how many cups of coffee I need/want and/or who's available to chat on Facebook) knowing that I can swing by our brand new McDonald's and get a hot cakes and sausage breakfast with a huge iced tea! Reminds me of when the kids were little and that was a special treat - to go to McD's for breakfast was a family tradition back then. Mainly 'cuz I couldn't stand to be in our condo - and therefore found any excuse to leave it as often as possible. I love pancakes!!

H. started his new school last week - he finished one class in a day (it was the 'learning online' class which is required). He was so excited. He's now working on English 4A (senior English) and is a bit disgruntled to see/realize that it won't go quite as quickly....reading a book, taking notes, quizzes, etc. is a lot more work than the 'online learning' class was. Still, he's doing well and is focused and sticking with the schedule. The first day, he took Chloe for a long walk as his hour of PE - and when they got home, she was so hot and exhausted, I was actually kind of scared that she was having a heat stroke. I have never seen her tongue sooooo long before - it was hanging all the way out of her mouth and when she keeled over on her side on the tile floor, she left her tongue hanging out about 3 inches - laying there on the tile while she panted like crazy. She was one pooped dog....and she stayed quiet and resting most of the remainder of the day. Hopefully, she'll get more used to walking - and it won't be quite as warm. H. took really good care of her - gave her water while they were out and kept an eye on her when they got home. She cooled off pretty quickly - she needs a haircut! She's a furry beast which doesn't help.

That's it for now - time for bed! Hoping for a great week - there's been a fair amount of drama at work these days and I dread drama. I just lie low and work, work, work....which makes having mountains to do a good thing!

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...