Saturday, May 15, 2010

Law & Order

I am stunned and grieving over the cancellation of Law & Order - the original. The one that started it all. I came to my Law & Order fandom late in the franchise's history, but here I am, firmly entrenched. Grateful that you can find some Law & Order episode on somewhere pretty much 24/7....and the frequent marathons make for additional frequent viewing. It is an exquisite show with compelling story lines and awesome cast and I am really, truly disappointed that it's gone. The final episode is in a couple weeks.....darn it all to heck.

There are so many things happening in my life (largely related to my job) and I can't write about any of them. It's been a roller coaster couple weeks....let's leave it at that. Still all is well on the job front and I remain happy and entertained and busier than would seem humanly possible. Yet, I continue to march forward. Hoping for a couple 'down' weeks in early July, if at all possible.

I had a minor procedure done this week which required stitches - and boy, howdy, I'd totally forgotten how much those things hurt! I have not missed any work time - but I have had many moments of 'Holy Crap, that's a major owie'. It's improving, I think. It's very sore today but I suspect it's more bruising vs. incision pain. All is well. Nothing to worry about. Glad it's been taken care of -

We have new neighbors behind us who purchased their home (same model as ours) for 1/2 what we paid - oh well. It sort of makes us sick but there's nothing we can do about it. Their kids are outside enjoying their new pool. They've stained their side of the fence with a really gross stain - somewhere between terracotta and Pepto Bismol pink - we're just grateful that we don't notice it at all when we're outside and only notice if/when we are looking outside our bedroom windows. They also built a built-in gas BBQ complete with 10 feet high huge bamboo 'poles' next to it. We think they're putting in some kind of 'cover' over the cooking area? But we're not sure. At the moment, it just looks like some possible Survivor Challenge set up. Can't figure it out yet - but it will reveal itself shortly, I'm sure. Chloe is going to have to adjust to a whole lot more noise - the kids are squealers and screamers. Yeah!

Today will be yard work, errands, housework, errands, work-work, errands and hopefully a nap! Dinner out, possibly. Not sure yet. We'll see. B. was off yesterday and was trying to wedge into his busy schedule a family dinner out - but his idea of when was 3:40 in the afternoon and I vetoed that pretty quickly. I had arrived home shortly before that, weary and sore and ready to unwind - and not the least bit hungry at that point. So we opted for Subway sandwiches around 6:30 - I ended up going to bed to 'lie down and read' for a bit - and slept two+ hours! I needed it!

I'm planting a couple patio blueberry bushes today - one pot of our lettuce is not surviving and I'm removing those plants shortly. I think I need to add some 'fertilizer' to the mix before adding any more plants back in - they just failed to 'thrive' and I think the soil in the pot is 'old' and no longer as nutrient-rich as it should be. We are continuing our journey into composting and as far as I can tell, things are going OK. We are adding green and brown layers regularly, moistening slightly now and then; mixing occasionally and adding kitchen scraps (coffee grounds, egg shells, veggie peels, etc.) as we can. The bin seems 'full' and then recedes, so it sure appears the appropriate decomposition is happening. And it's getting plenty of air - it doesn't smell bad at all and that's a good sign. So maybe this time next year, we'll have plenty of our own soil amendment material to add! Hope so.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...