Saturday, December 19, 2009

Like Water for Vodka

So.....

It was our 1st Annual Christmas Party for my work tonight. Our previous boss wasn't big on parties or spending time together outside work in general...but our new sup is the polar opposite of that. We had a fantastic pot-luck party with a fun gift exchange and karaoke. It was awesome fun.

Awhile back, I recall fixing myself a cocktail on a Sunday....think it was cranberry juice and some Patron Tequila. And I recalled that I didn't feel any real effect of that cocktail. It was a spur of the moment 'oh, it's Sunday evening and I think a cocktail would be nice' and I mixed up something with what we had on hand. And didn't feel a thing. I remember thinking it was weird 'cuz I usually at least feel a little something...but nothing. Nada. Zip. And I just assumed it wasn't a strong drink or 'maybe I'm starting to build more of a tolerance with these once in a while Sunday cocktails'. A fleeting thought of 'hmmm, have I been drinking more than usual and so it doesn't affect me now?'. Doubtful...'cuz I truly drink very rarely. But I wondered.

The party tonight was BYOB - so we brought our Patron Tequila and a bottle of vodka. Both about 1/2 full. And when I got there, I mentioned to my friend (the hostess) 'I sure hope these haven't been watered down'. Sort of joking......

It's been quite a week here. I will share some details soon - a post or two in various stages of being drafted and I need to simmer over them to decide if posting is the right thing to do. So I made that comment because given the week we've had, nothing would surprise me anymore.

And I was right. Both of the bottles were water. Totally and completely water. Not a drop of 'real' liquor in them.

Son #2 called us at the party and talked to J. and said 'tell Mom I hope she's having a good time and I love her and I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused'. So I called him back to tell him I love him, too...and yes, I was having fun....and hey, by the way, we couldn't help but notice that our tequila and vodka were apparently replaced with water. He said 'well, Mom, I'm not really into drinking [which is apparently true based on things we've learned this week - alcohol is not the issue for him] but I think B. and his friends might have done that...and you didn't hear it from me'.

Which was even more amusing because B. said the exact same thing a week ago when he informed on his brother. Told me something that has led to finding out so many more something's about son #2 than I ever imagined - and after telling me, he said 'you didn't hear it from me'.

Six words that changed the course of history around here......and changed the future as well.

It's been a long week. We are officially on vacation for two weeks and are all in need of down time, sleep and healing. Hopefully, H's change of attitude as exhibited by his sweet phone call, will hold awhile. He is restricted to within an inch of his life but he seems to understand that keeping him close is the only way I can cope with all that's been revealed....so he's weathering it as best he can.

More tomorrow. I need to drink a bunch of water, take some Tylenol and go to bed. It was a REALLY FUN PARTY....and my head hurts.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...