Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Mystery

How is it that every single year, we can't find the gift tags? We buy them around this time (a couple days before Christmas) EVERY SINGLE YEAR and we can never find them. Somewhere in this house are thousands (well....ok...hundreds at least) of gift tags longing to be in the Christmas wrapping box where they belong. They are nowhere to be found - so once again, I am getting dressed and heading out for 'last minute' stuff - including, once again - gift tags.

We are heading into the last of the Christmas Crunch - still have loads of wrapping to do. Still a bit of shopping. And a trip to the bank to fetch money for the scavenger hunt for the boys. Clues to be written, envelopes to be labeled. I need to get going on that. I keep the clues to as few words as possible...and then have to write myself a 'legend' and a 'key' so I don't forget where I've stashed the cash. Otherwise, we'll find money around here one of these days from a forgotten clue.....

I'm going to CVS and/or Walgreens to see if I can find Snuggies for me and the boys. It's below 64 degrees in this room right now and even I am freezing. Heat is cranking away and it should warm up soon - but I'm wrapped in a Pooh throw and it's hard to type and keep warm at the same time.

We continue to attempt to keep son #2 firmly in our grasp. He did mention that he really needs to go Christmas shopping soon....so we might let him go to the mall - timed, mileage checked on the car and only to shop for an hour or so. Not to 'hang out' at the mall - just get there, shop, and come straight home. Or he may be accompanied by his father. Oh, he'll love that..... [and I refer to both 'he's' when I say that]. I think J. will take him. Safer that way -

B. went snowboarding with friends yesterday. He has 'jury duty' this week, which means he has to check a website daily to see if he needs to report. So far, he hasn't - and it really doesn't look like he will. They won't hold court Thursday or Friday so if he makes it through today and checks the website tonight and is 'clear', then he's likely done. He asked for most of the week off work - worked his 16 hours with two 8 hour shifts on Sunday and Monday - so he's off until next Sunday. He does love his 'down time'. And I can't blame him for that....

The cleaning crew was here yesterday so the house is tidied and sparkling. We are culling things out like crazy - I've been posting things on Freecycle and have given away Pokemon cards, Shrinky Dink paper and some bead kits. I love the concept of Freecycle - but the execution is a pain. People write back things like 'where in South Tracy?'. Uh, are you saying you WANT what I just posted 'cuz I'm not giving you my address until I know that you are 'committing' to taking what's been offered. They want something and say 'well, I can't get there until tomorrow'...well, then, I'm going to give it to the person who can come get it now 'cuz I'm not scheduling my day around you picking up something I'm giving you for free. It gets to be more of a pain than it's meant to be. Still, it's nice to know these things are going to homes where some child will be thrilled. The mom who picked up the Shrinky Dink paper yesterday was ecstatic - her daughter LOVES them, as did H. in his wee years. Culling his room has sure been a trip down memory lane....

OK - warm enough to head upstairs and get showered and ready to head out for errands. The last of the Christmas madness is about to ensue. Fasten your lap belt snugly and securely around your person. Everyone hold onto your hats. Keep your arms and legs inside the car at all times. This ride may cause extreme motion sickness and wooziness. You will feel better when it's over - and it will be over before you know it. Once the ride has come to a complete stop, you may exit and proceed with your normal life. This ride happens only once per year and there's a reason for that....so sit back and embrace the celebration and joy that's created by massive consumerism and spending more than you planned. That's what makes it magical....because no matter how sucky they past few weeks have been; no matter how much angst and concern and anger and frustration there has been in this house the past few weeks (and boy, howdy, there's been plenty of all those things lately), there will be peace and smiles and joy here on Christmas morning. For at least an hour or so, all will be right with the world. That's the miracle of Christmas. And that's what I'm holding onto at the moment. Christmas is coming and it will be magical - regardless of the recent drama in this house. It will be Christmas....and I love Christmas.

New Year's is only one week away - wooziness will happen again but thankfully, the shopping will be over.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...