Monday, October 22, 2007

13

I left the house just before 6AM - arrived at my office a bit after 6:15, post my trip to Starbucks for my two venti iced teas. And I pulled back into the driveway at 7 - PM. Thirteen hours. And except for the 20 minute 'break' I took around noon to come home and check on the dogs - which I did because I took them out so quickly this morning and put them back in their kennel so quickly, I felt guilty - I worked non stop. I ended the day with an almost four hour meeting at our county office of ed going over a report I am working on to report 6 years worth of information regarding a specific grant. And discovered that I was in fact right - it is/was/will be a confusing mess that will take hours more to unravel. I had convinced myself there was something I just wasn't understanding. When in fact, I understand it perfectly - it's just a disaster to unravel. Barely scratched the surface in four hours of going through multiple years of history. I'm grateful to the county person who devoted so much time to helping me understand the info and confirmed what I suspected - I am getting it, but it IS a mess. Many more hours still to go.

The boys are on their best behavior and I'm so glad. My only 'complaint' this evening was arriving home late, and after a couple calls to remind everyone what's for dinner, I'm STILL met with the 'when are we eating' comment - the minute I walk in the door. I actually assumed they had already eaten - so I pulled out a chicken burger - thinking I'd just microwave it for something quick. And B. walks in and said 'I thought we were having pasta?'. I said 'first, it's almost 7 and I would have thought you would have already eaten. Second, since you haven't, why couldn't you cook the pasta so it would be ready for me, since I am also starving.' He apologized and 'cooked' the meal (microwaved). And brought me a plate, just like his dad does. I said 'that's why I was careful to have things on hand for you to fix - I will be working late several nights this week and I wanted to be sure you would have dinner's to cook. So please cook them'. He said 'yes, Momma' - that's what he calls me when he's trying to 'sweet talk' me - Momma - mis-spelled intentionally with the 'o' and double 'm' 'cuz that's how he pronounces it - heavy on the m..a...h with more of an 'o' sound and a drawn out 'm' sound. Something he never called me as a baby or a boy - but now, in all his almost 17 years of being a son, it's 'momma'. It's sweet - and he says it really 'cutely' with a specific 'twang' to it. It's his thing - and it's just between the two of us. He even calls me that in front of his friends - on the phone, he'll say 'Hi, Momma'.

Other than that one snafu, they've been perfect angels. Apparently sensing my patience is thin and exhaustion is rampant. So they cooperate and do what they need to do with a minimum of fuss. I miss J. but these 'blissful' examples of how they truly CAN live in harmony with us and with each other are a pleasant diversion from the usual day to day crud that ensues between two teens and their parents.

I have been thinking about Bug all day, hoping they're having a great time. I'm a bit surprised to not hear from her (I texted her on our way home) and then I think 'that's silly, she's on her HONEYMOON - she's a bit busy. (wink, wink)'. But I miss her and can't wait to hear how their trip is going. And I'm thinking about her because the great thing about her wedding is: I'll get to know how it all turns out. With so many weddings, you go, you wish them well and then you have no idea what happens next. J. will tell you that I define 'good' movies based on knowing how it all turns out. Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, American President - you know those end with the two madly in love people getting married and having babies. So with N. and M., I'll get to know how it all turns out. She will be in my life forever. FOREVER. We've already weathered one of us leaving our job (me) and we still talk all the time, email often, etc. and I know we will still do that, no matter where we work. So I'll know how it all turns out - and I can't wait for that. It makes the wedding that much sweeter - I'll get to see the next part. And the part after that. Etc.

OK - it's time to load the dishwasher, get a load of laundry going, feed the cats and bird, and get ready for bed. While I'm tired. So that I will hopefully sleep.

I was just outside with the dogs and the teeniest, tiniest firefly I've ever seen was hovering just by my head. I could even touch it (and did), it was so close. I wondered why it was being so brave and allowing me so close - and I think it's 'someone' who wants to say 'hi'. Maybe my mom...or my dad. The moon is huge and bright tonight - as it was last night. I thought H. had left the porch light on - but it was just the moon.

Night for now.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...