Saturday, November 19, 2005

Work

I was in the corporate world for 20+ years and was with my last company for 12 years. When I left my last corporate job, I couldn't bring myself to go back to that world - to working my heart out so someone else (the CEO or whomever) would be able to buy an island in the Bahamas off the profits made from stock while the company crumbled around the peons that did all the work. Been there, done that. (And a major 'high up' person in the company I worked for DID buy an island and leave the continental US shortly after reassuring the senior 'middle managers' [me included] that all was well and we would weather our current storm). Pictures of the island available on request.

Anyway, I now work for a college. And life is so much more satisfying. Still frustrations at times. People can be jerks sometimes no matter what 'type' of place you work at. But for the most part, my days are spent working really hard for not a lot of money with people who are without a doubt the most dedicated, goal oriented and driven folks I've ever met. Everyone is there because they love what they do. Most have been in education their entire careers. Teachers who have moved into administration. Students who have returned to teach. Support staff who've been there since the school opened. And a few like me - looking for something different.

Committee driven. Union environment. Nothing is done without a whole lot of discussion and time spent debating every little thing. Hard to get used to. Sometimes long for the day when a decision would be made and people were told to do it - and it got done. Decisions at the school still get made - but the process takes a lot longer.

Still, I love what I do and how I spend my days now. With the exception of the morning commute, it's a dream job. When I walk from my car to my office every morning, I say good morning to the birds happily residing in the many trees. Or hello to the bunnies living in the shrubs all over campus. I remind the bunnies that if Stan (the head groundskeeper) finds them eating his petunias, they're going to end up in stew by evening. (Stan would NEVER do that - but I warn the bunnies anyway 'cuz eating the flowers is not something Stan would approve of - though I'm secretly happy that they are treating themselves to what are obviously delicious blossoms). When I walk around the campus for business or pleasure, I enjoy the rolling hills with cows and vineyards. The open space. The incredible beauty of the surroundings is such a stark contrast to the miles of cement and buildings where I spent so much of my corporate time. It's good for my soul to be in a place that seems miles away from the city (though it's just down the hill). Walking is a treat - there are 'secret' paths that make you feel like you're in the country, far far away from your 'normal' life.

It's a happy place to be, with fun people. It's a joy, really. And I never would have thought I'd ever say that about going to work everyday. But I do - 'cuz it is. Pure joy.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...