Friday, November 18, 2005

Christmas

I'll start this post with I LOVE CHRISTMAS. LOVE IT. Love it even more now that I work at a school where we get a LOT of days off as 'closure days' - they don't count against our vacation. The campus is closed, so we're off those days. So I enjoy the week between Christmas and New Years off. Love that A LOT!

Yesterday, I tossed the Toys 'R Us ad into the recycle bin without even glancing at it. A milestone of sorts. Acknowledging that there isn't a single thing in that ad which would even remotely interest either of my kids. They are WAY past the TrU phase of their lives. Best Buy? Yes. Big 5? Probably. Target? Possibly, if it's in electronics. Their wants this year are BIG and expensive. No longer can I fill up under the tree with lots of smaller fun toys. Now, their toys are snowboards, drum sets, ski clothes, ski passes, MP3 players, etc. I long for the days when bunches of $20 toys would fill up the tree and keep them playing for hours. Now, the gifts are so big and pricey - so there's not much actually under the tree - mainly 'cuz it won't fit there. I am resorting to the old standbys of buying them socks and underwear and any other 'basic' items I can think of that they need - something to put under the tree that costs less than $200.

I know they won't be disappointed. They understand that their growing up to really expensive presents means one big present/year. That's it. They know to choose carefully 'cuz their 'wish list' of numerous expensive things won't be filled. Some will need to be carried over for Birthdays...or to ask relatives who inquire to send $$ towards a specific item. Still, I can't not have a lot under the tree. Christmas morning has to be BIG - a shock between how the tree looked when they went to bed and how it looks when they wake up. That's Christmas. But every year, it get's harder to get that 'wow' factor - and this year will be no exception.

We have a great Christmas full of great traditions. Watching 'The Santa Clause' on Christmas eve after we've driven around looking at lights. Hot cocoa made from 'scratch' - with cocoa powder, sugar, milk - warmed and whipped on the stove. Bed as early as we can get them there. Waking up at the crack of dawn. It's always lots of fun. I just hope they aren't disappointed with the few big things under the tree. My mom always made Christmas 'magical' for me and my sister and I do the same for my kids. It's just getting harder as they get older to amaze them. But we'll try. This year, we're planning a surprise week in Disneyland the week before Christmas - and a BIG surprise will be Aunt P. and Uncle F. meeting us in the park from Arizona. That will be a 'wow' for sure. The kids have no idea (so far) and though they'll figure it out as soon as we head south on I5, they won't know about P & F until we run into them at the surfboard in California Adventure. That's a big Christmas surprise! for sure.

Hope I can come up with more 'wow' before the big day. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Tales of Helpers

Our cleaning lady D. is here today - she wears earbuds and chats on the phone while she works.  She is the third cleaning 'person(s)'...